Poetry On The Odyssey: Collapsing Kingdom

a poem for those that are falling

192

On Saturdays, my king and I would play,

Two kids, moving around our concrete castle

as if we ruled each delicate blade of grass.

Scrapes appeared on our knees and blisters covered our feet,

forming and fading as the days passed.

When we were together, silence became laughter,

and simple games became our entire world.

On a Sunday, he told me the news.

The infinite cul-de-sac that we once reigned over

suddenly became small.

His father, the newfound villain, was taking his family

to the barren wasteland called Kansas.

Our endless time suddenly stopped.

My king had been dethroned.

On a Monday, the first boxes entered the moving van.

We ran off, refusing to watch our kingdom collapse.

Instead, we chased the vibrant sunset

and allowed our laughter to fill the empty

spaces that were appearing in his home.

That night, we swore that we'd rule this street again,

and this goodbye would not be our last.

On a Tuesday, their red truck pulled out of the driveway

for the last time. My small legs tumbled after them,

as if I'd be able to pull them back.

But, the whoops and hollers of the other

neighborhood children could not drown out

the silence nestled

in their corner of the street.

Today, I cannot remember

how many years it has been since we spoke.

Our glittering kingdom is nothing but ruins.

To The Friends I Won't Talk To After High School

I sincerely hope, every great quality I saw in you, was imprinted on the world.
3793

Hey,

So, for the last four years I’ve seen you almost everyday. I’ve learned about your annoying little brother, your dogs and your crazy weekend stories. I’ve seen you rock the awful freshman year fashion, date, attend homecoming, study for AP tests, and get accepted into college.

Thank you for asking me about my day, filling me in on your boy drama and giving me the World History homework. Thank you for complimenting my outfits, laughing at me presenting in class and listening to me complain about my parents. Thank you for sending me your Quizlets and being excited for my accomplishments- every single one of them. I appreciate it all because I know that soon I won’t really see you again. And that makes me sad. I’ll no longer see your face every Monday morning, wave hello to you in the hallways or eat lunch with you ever again. We won't live in the same city and sooner or later you might even forget my name.

We didn’t hang out after school but none the less you impacted me in a huge way. You supported my passions, stood up for me and made me laugh. You gave me advice on life the way you saw it and you didn’t have to but you did. I think maybe in just the smallest way, you influenced me. You made me believe that there’s lots of good people in this world that are nice just because they can be. You were real with me and that's all I can really ask for. We were never in the same friend group or got together on the weekends but you were still a good friend to me. You saw me grow up before your eyes and watched me walk into class late with Starbucks every day. I think people like you don’t get enough credit because I might not talk to you after high school but you are still so important to me. So thanks.

With that said, I truly hope that our paths cross one day in the future. You can tell me about how your brothers doing or how you regret the college you picked. Or maybe one day I’ll see you in the grocery store with a ring on your finger and I’ll be so happy you finally got what you deserved so many guys ago.

And if we ever do cross paths, I sincerely hope you became everything you wanted to be. I hope you traveled to Italy, got your dream job and found the love of your life. I hope you have beautiful children and a fluffy dog named Charlie. I hope you found success in love before wealth and I hope you depended on yourself for happiness before anything else. I hope you visited your mom in college and I hope you hugged your little sister every chance you got. She’s in high school now and you always tell her how that was the time of your life. I sincerely hope, every great quality I saw in you, was imprinted on the world.

And hey, maybe I’ll see you at the reunion and maybe just maybe you’ll remember my face. If so, I’d like to catch up, coffee?

Sincerely,

Me