Meet the Reporter: New Year's Resolution

Why an ASU Odyssey reporter is valuing communication at the start of the decade

198
Colin Romaglia (left) stands in front of a Christmas Tree with his family in Pennsylvania.
Photo by: Deborah Khoury

The start of a new decade is upon us! I guess that makes this New Year's resolution even more special to a degree.

To be completely honest, I was never that into the whole tradition of setting a New Year's resolution. It's not that I don't think I can improve a part of my life, quite the opposite. I just feel like most New Year's resolutions get abandoned, so I don't want to label it as such. Let's call it the word to remember in 2020.

For me, that word is communication. Being across the country from my family and friends has never been easy. I'm from New Jersey, so flights home even for one weekend a month are too expensive, and that has led me to cherish even the smallest of vacations.

But we live in arguably the best time for long-distance relationships, right? Smartphones, video chats, online gaming systems, the list goes on and on. Well, I beg to differ. See, with all this technology has come all sorts of distractions.

In a world where we need to keep eight or nine computer tabs open just to complete homework, stay on top of social media, and manage our finances, free time is hard to come by. In that free time, we binge-watch Netflix, or play a mobile game because it's quick, easy, and provides a little entertainment.

The unfortunate reality with this lifestyle though is by the time we navigate through our day and sit down at night we have no desire to sit on a phone call with our parents or text our best friend. This is because we either feel what we are up to is more engaging or frankly, we can't take the strain on our eyes anymore.

The internet is great, but connections are what make our lives special. Believe me when I tell you, the only way to keep those connections is with proper communication. I need to cherish those random text messages and get excited when my family is checking in on me. When all is said and done, I want to live through the people who know my story, not pages on a search engine.

Communicate more and consume less, that is the key to a happy 2020.