Meet the Reporter: My Post-Graduation Diamond Dream

Even though I won't be playing baseball, the aspiration to keep the game in my life forever is alive and well.

445
Photo by: Scott Braun

When I first got to the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State University, I had complete tunnel vision. I was going to be a professional baseball play-by-play announcer or MLB Network broadcaster, and no one was going to stop me!

However, as time wears on, your dreams are morphed by factors that life throws at you like opportunities, hidden talents, friendships, and recommendations. During this time in college, I found a second love in the realm of digital marketing. How I went from headset to campaign building is more of a book then a "Meet the Reporter" snapshot, so I'll digress.

I still one day want to be an employee of either an MLB team or MLB Network, but my approach has shifted from one goal to becoming the best Swiss Army knife I can be. By majoring in sports journalism, minoring in digital audiences, and pursuing a certificate in sales and marketing essentials, I hope to be ready for whatever these organizations need help with the most by the time I graduate.

If MLB Network needs better website SEO (search engine optimization) and social media interaction, I'll be qualified to help. Maybe the Toronto Blue Jays are looking for a beat reporter, then here's some of my baseball writing samples. The Arizona Diamondbacks could need help selling more tickets, then put me out on the floor for potential customer acquisition.

Since an organization's needs are constantly changing, my dream after graduation is to be able to market myself as the master key that can unlock many doors.