Clothing Psychology: What Your Clothing Choices Say About You

Ever wonder why you are constantly drawn to the same style of clothing? The science behind the types of clothing we choose can portray a lot about us as individuals and how it reflects specific interests and personalities.

5124
Clothing Psychology:  What Your Clothing Choices Say About You

Back when I was in high school I took a public speaking and creative writing class, and I must admit, it was one of my favorite classes. For one of my assignments, I was given the opportunity to choose a topic that interested me, which I than had to write about and make a presentation for. As someone who is very interested in fashion, I often wondered and still wonder why people choose to wear certain clothing, as well as why they are drawn to specific trends and styles. Needless to say, I chose to do my assignment on what people's clothing choices said about themselves.

I always felt that clothes are much more than simply pulling something off the hanger in the morning or just grabbing something to wear because it is on top of the "clean clothes pile." Rather, clothing is a reflection of an individuals personality. It can show your interests and ambitions, spending habits, and even can reflect how an employer will perceive you.

Below are some of the most common clothing trends that people tend to wear, as well as the perceptions that follow suit with each. Do you recognize yourself in any?

1. Clothing Hoarder

If you're the type of person to keep every piece of clothing you have ever owned, you may be clinging to the past by using your clothing as a form of sentimental value. A good rule to follow is to get rid of clothing items that you have not worn in the last year or two. If you have not worn certain clothing items in that long, chances are you won't miss them, or even realize that they are gone. Also, if some things seem too tight or are visibly ripped or worn out , toss them as well.

2. Closet Consisting of Neutrals

Hands down, I am definitely a neutral girl, so I can relate to this one! Neutrals usually hint at the idea that one may be stuck in a "psychological rut." By this, I mean that you can be too comfortable to add color to your style or too afraid to draw attention to yourself. For me personally, I feel very comfortable in neutrals. They go with everything and give me a lot of options for how I want to style them. A good way to mix up an all-neutral closet though is to add more earth tones and classic colors, such as maroon, olive, navy, and gray (which are colors that I also wear a lot). Also, adding pastels is also a good way to mix up an all-neutral closet, especially with the spring season approaching soon. Light colors, such as peach, light pink and rose colors, and baby blue are a good way to add pops of color without it straying too far from neutral colors or being too bold.

3. Black Clothing

Wearing black clothing used to only be acceptable during a time of mourning. However, times have changed and black is now a color that is worn year round and tends to be a flattering color on most women. Black symbolizes strength, power, sophistication, elegance, and authority. Not to mention, it is also a color that I wear many times throughout the week.

4. Blue, Green, & Pink Clothing

Blue is naturally a soothing and calming color. Those who tend to wear blue give off a creative and positive vibe. They are seen as being peaceful and loyal, and also show they are confident within themselves. People who wear a lot of blue live by their own rules and are independent. Green is also a calming color. The color is associated with healing, generosity, and an enlightened state of mind. People who wear green often care about the feelings of others. Finally, like blue and green, pink is also a very soothing color and is the ultimate symbol of femininity.

5. Covering Yourself in Designer Logos

Of course every girl likes a good designer handbag to carry around, however constantly wearing designer clothes from head to toe could be an indication of thinking you need to show the world that you are of significant status or importance. It can also convey that you expect to be treated well and looked highly upon by everyone you come in contact with. To help avoid this, start with a "blank canvas" of clothing by utilizing designer items as accents so people see you for you, rather than for the labels pasted all over your body.

6. Red has always been a clothing color that has emphasized confidence. It is a color that allows women to feel empowered. Not only is it the color that represents aggression, but it also symbolizes sensuality, passion, and boldness.

7. Orange & Yellow Clothing

Orange and yellow go hand in hand with each other. They both represent positivity, creativity, happiness, and optimism.

8. Dress in Clothing Too Big for Your Body

Dressing in clothing too big for your body means that you could see your body as an image of what it once was or you see it differently than how others see it. A tip for helping to avoid wearing clothing too big is to bring a friend who will be honest about how clothes look on you.

For more ways to get to know your personal style, you can take these quizzes listed below.

https://www.psychologies.co.uk/test-what-do-your-c...

http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?titl...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/yourtango/go-to-clot...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/learnvest/2012/04/03/w...