Fashion Needs Universal Sizes To Save Time AND Body Image

Fashion Brands Desperately Need Universal Sizes To Save Our Time AND Body Image

Can you imagine if we could just walk into a store and pick up the right size, then LEAVE?

49

Since I've been allowed to go back to stores (with certain safety precautions and restrictions, of course), I've taken the opportunity to fill out my summer wardrobe with a few items I realized I didn't have or needed to replace. Most recently, I bought a pair of high-waisted black shorts at Target.

They are a little distressed, have multiple buttons, and weren't super expensive.

You may be asking yourself why I'm describing a pair of shorts in such detail. Well, that's because I had to try on THREE different sizes of these shorts until I got the pair that fit. Since stores aren't allowing people to try clothes on before you buy them, I had to return or exchange the two pairs that didn't fit before I got to the third.

I know all the ladies reading know exactly what I'm talking about (and have likely gone through this at least once), but for the guys: women's clothing brands don't use the same measurements for sizes.

For example, some of my pants are size 0 and others are size 8.

This was more annoying than anything, but it got me thinking about how this can cause some deeper issues. The society we live in today is hyper-focused on having and obtaining the "perfect" body. If we're being honest, the "perfect" body is a major lie. Getting there would mean starvation and plastic surgery.

The way women view their own bodies is so heavily impacted as is, if we could change this one small thing it may work wonders for our mental health.

While the big argument here is that universal sizing would likely help improve women's body image, it would also likely cut down the time we spend shopping significantly. Since our sizes aren't consistent between brands, we tend to spend a lot of time back and forth to the dressing rooms with different sizes to try.

Some of us don't want to spend hours out at the store trying to find the right size of one pair of new pants.

So, how long will it take before we can actually try and make this a thing?

Sincerely,

Women Everywhere