Closing The Door; Opening The Next

Closing The Door; Opening The Next

A lot of the time I never thought it would actually be goodbye.

32
Closing The Door; Opening The Next
Hailey Coubal

But I am so glad it is. It needed to happen. I’m finally glad I got the courage to leave.

Walking out of a toxic relationship is one of the hardest things anyone can overcome. Being in a toxic relationship was like a drug. You’re addicted to the pain. The constant feeling of hurt just never seems to go away. So you just become numb to everything. You don’t realize how poorly you’re getting treated till you finally open your eyes. All those things everyone was saying in your ear all those times about how you deserve so much better, start to really make sense. Everything just happens to come together and you can’t believe how disgusted you are once you’re not blinded by love. Even though you never saw the real me, I see her shining through every single day. Just because you put me down for all those years.. I will always outshine you anyday.

Thank you for never having anything nice to say to me, ever. The constant ignorant comments you said to me daily began to not hurt anymore. Your words stop effecting me. Thank you for only doing the minimum, while I always did the maximum. Thank you for constantly making me feel like a burden no matter where we went, like I was hard to be around. Thank you for all the times you tried to make me feel small, but baby let’s not forget what you lost.. I’m not sure who will feel small now? Thank you for all the drunken nights you got into a huge fight with my family, all the holes you punched in walls, punching car windows, shattering and ripping up anything you could possibly destroy. Thank you for constantly calling me a “whore” whenever you were drunk. Thank you for bringing all those different girls into our relationship. You never know how big of a coward someone really is, till their only way to fix something is to go to someone outside of a relationship. Thank you for cheating on me multiple times and thinking I’d never find out about it. Thank you for all those nights you sent me snapchats of you making out with other girls. Or constantly disrespecting my family, strangely for all those years they were your biggest support system. I truly couldn’t thank you enough for your careless actions, because no matter what all it’s been doing is making me the stronger person. I thank you for the times you brought down my confidence because of your own insecurities. Basically at the end of all this I couldn’t thank you enough for being a lesson learned. Making me realize my worth, my value, and how great of a person I really am. For raising my standards so high I would never encounter one of your “types” again. I thank you for making me realize that my love is so valuable and so pure, something you never appreciated.

This isn’t going to be a typical screw off article. Me being the person I am, I will thank you for opening up your amazing family to me. I thank you for your amazing brothers and sisters; who constantly knew how to put a huge smile on my face. I thank you for your beautiful nieces and nephews who called me “auntie”. I thank you for making me feel apart of another family like they were my own. Thank you for giving me many laughs and smiles throughout the years. I thank you for being my first true love. We had a good run for awhile and I’ll never forget you. I’m not going to lie, I will miss you so much. I’ll miss your hugs, and the way our hands fit so perfectly together. Or the one, two, three’s. I’ll miss all our songs, late night drives, concerts, our random trips and what we thought our future plans were. I’ll miss it all and I’ll keep it in my heart for the rest of my life. At the end of the day I’d never hate you, no where near it. I just simply saw more in you than you ever saw in yourself. I will always think higher of you than your actions ever showed. I hope you have a happy life because you do deserve it.

Thank you for being a blessing. A lesson learned. And someone I’ll keep in my heart for the rest of my life.

"She's the kind of girl you meet when you're too young. You fuck up only because there's too much living to do. Only to find out.. she's the one." (Unknown)