Distance Does In Fact Make The Heart Grow Fonder.

Yes, I Am Close With My Parents And, No I Am Not Ashamed Of It

My parents encourage me to be my best self and to follow my dreams, and I could never thank them enough for that.

212

Ever since I went away to school, people have always asked me how close I have stayed with my parents since making the transition to college life. For some reason, they are always really shocked when I tell them the truth, that I have stayed close with my parents and maybe have gotten even closer with them.

As the saying goes, distance does, in fact, make the heart grow fonder.

This reaction is probably because as children get older, they tend to spend more time with their friends than their family. Yet, as I have gotten older I have only grown closer to mine. In a sense, you could say that my parents are my best friends, and they are two of the best friends I could have ever asked for.

Not only do my parents support me in anything and everything that I do, but they also encourage me to be my best self and to follow my dreams, and I could never thank them enough for that.

Due to the close nature of my family, siblings and parents included, going away to college was a hard transition to make. I constantly found myself feeling alone and lost while missing my entire family. Not only did my parents make efforts to visit me, but I also went home to see them.

Now that I have fully adjusted to college life, I may not go home as often, but I have still maintained super close relationships with my parents. I always look forward to Facetime calls with my mom and texting my dad about the latest sports news.

If it weren't already obvious, I take the relationships I have with each of my parents very seriously. I can tell my parents anything and they are always understanding and there to help me regardless of the task at hand.

My mom and I are inseparable despite being miles apart. We call and text each other every day and I wouldn't have it any other way. My dad and I text each other every day to keep up with the latest sports news and he visits more than most parents, usually to go to sporting events with me.

While my friends opted to spend their spring breaks over college on vacation with their other friends, I chose to spend part of mine home with my mom, and the rest down in Florida going to baseball games with my dad. It's not that I don't enjoy my time with my friends, it is just I have so much fun with my parents that sometimes that's all I ever need, and being away at school does urge me to spend more time with them.

In the end, no matter where life takes me, my parents are and will always be my best friends. No matter what happens, my parents will always be there for me and love me for who I am. All I can say is that I love my parents more than anything and I cannot thank them enough for all they do for me.