I Don't Want To Have Kids Because The Planet Is Dying

The Earth is dying and I can't stop crying!

54

There was a point in time during my life -and I am only 22- where I could confidently say, "yeah, of course, I want my own kids one day." Now, I don't know if I want kids at all.

I can only assume that when you have kids of your own, you want nothing but the best for them; education, support, and environment. You want your kid to grow up to be the best version of themselves and that requires them to grow up in the best environment with the best resources.

I seem to find myself asking the same question from time to time if it would be ethically right for me to birth a child into this dying planet? To be quite frank, I still don't plan on having or adopting kids for another ten-ish years because I want to live up my twenties as much as I can and secondly, I plan on attending graduate school eventually, which means my career ideally won't set off until my thirties, or something like that. So, I really don't know if this planet will be thriving long enough for me to provide my kids with the best life possible.

According to the Breakthrough National Centre for Climate Restoration in Melbourne, Australia, they concluded that climate change poses an existential threat to human civilization that could cause society to collapse by 2050 if we do not take the necessary actions to reverse this process. The level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere continues to rise at record-breaking levels and the downfall of this damage is only getting uglier. The consequences may not be as visible as a world war, but the effects are equally as detrimental.

I do not want to bring a child into a world where Florida will most likely end up underwater once the majority of the ice sheets have melted. I do not want my child to grow up not experiencing fresh foods (or possibly starvation) due to the temperatures rising to the point where agriculture will no longer grow and food resources will be scarce. I do not want my child to live in a world where almost all living things -plants, animals, and especially, us- are dead.

Climate change isn't a joke.

Polar bears aren't the only ones dying anymore and we need to act on it fast for the sake of everyone's future.