Cleaning Out Your Metaphorical Closet

Cleaning Out Your Metaphorical Closet

There's no better time than now to let go of what's holding you back.

314
Cleaning Out Your Metaphorical Closet
Getty and Getty Images

We all have that one piece of clothing that sits in the back of our closet untouched. Maybe you outgrew it, or you shrunk it in the wash, or you stained it at that party, or you wore it until there were holes. We all have it. That one piece of clothing that no matter how long it's been since you've worn it, you just can't let go of it. No matter how many times you clean out your closet it always stays there, hanging up in the back, taking up space. Space that you could be using for new clothes, nicer clothes, clothes that you'll take off of the hanger for more than just spring cleaning. For whatever reason, though, you just cannot let that article of clothing go. You tell yourself that you'll lose weight, or that it just needs a good dry cleaning (even though you tried that three times already) or that you'll get it altered so that it fits you just right again.

Much like our actual wardrobes it can be quite hard for us to clean out our metaphorical wardrobes. A lot of us out there have a hard time letting go of people or things that we know aren't doing anything to help move us forward in life. When it comes to letting go of people it can be hard, especially when there's a lot of history and good memories. What you need to remember is that the past is, well, the past. It can be easy to keep around an old friend just because you're used to having them around. Or because you feel bad letting go. However, it is important for your health and progress in life to let go. As hard as it is sometimes friends grow apart. Sometimes you outgrow someone you've been friends with for years. It's nothing to feel bad about! You do need to do what's best for you and let go of them, though. How? Stop reaching out to those that wouldn't return the favor. Stop crossing oceans for the people who wouldn't even jump over a puddle for you.

There's really no better time than the start of a new school year to distance yourself from these people and clean out your closet, both mentally and physically. Especially for those of us making the transition from high school to college this year, we have to learn to be okay with losing people. After all, letting go of those clothes, or those people, that are no longer benefiting you makes space for new ones. Remember that it is okay to be selfish. You don't need to explain yourself to people who aren't contributing positively to your life. I understand that moving to college is new and scary but in a few months you'll be surrounded by new people who do nothing but support you. Now, of course, I'm not saying to ditch all of your friends from high school but we all have that one friend, or two, who we were only really friends with because they were always around. Or the friend that you're always around to help but they never seem to return the favor. Or the friend who only ever tries to undermine your success. Just like that old sweater in the back of your closet, sometimes friends just don't fit right anymore.