Millennials Need An 80s Movies Education

You've heard the lines, but have you seen the movie?

380
Unsplash

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Scrunchies are back. Oversized sweatshirts and leggings are the norm. Denim and bomber jackets are seen everywhere on Instagram. It’s safe to say that the ‘80s are making a strong comeback in 2018.

The best thing to come out the ‘80s, however, isn’t the fashion, but the movies. I love ‘80s movies, and I was shocked to hear that so many of my friends had never seen any of these iconic gems that were made in the 1980’s.

So I’ve decided to compile a list of the best ‘80s movies that you have to see at least once. Take a break from binge-watching Riverdale, and This Is Us, and try these out.

1. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

Yes, I do have a “Save Ferris” sticker on my laptop. I could watch this movie over and over again.

This is the perfect movie for those days you just want to lay in bed and skip class. Watch how Ferris pulls off the greatest skip day for his girlfriend and best friend without ever getting caught by his parents or the crazy Principal, Rooney.

There are so many iconic lines and scenes, but the most famous, and my favorite is, “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

2. Can’t Buy Me Love

McDreamy, is that you?? A young Patrick Dempsey stars in this teen romance alongside Amanda Peterson.

We’ve all heard this story: Despite all odds, the nerd and the popular girl realize they were meant to be together. It’s not the plot that you should watch this movie for, but the cheesy, but sweet moments between Peterson and Dempsey.

If you’ve ever had any desire to ride off into the sunset on a lawnmower, this movie is for you.

3. The Breakfast Club

You can’t pay tribute to the ‘80s without talking about The Breakfast Club. This classic takes place on a Saturday morning where five teens bond over the shared pain of enduring detention.None of them seem to have much in common, and after today, they might ever not talk again, but just for this one day, they realize that they’re not so different after all. Again, cheesy, but worth the watch, if only for the incredible soundtrack.

4. Risky Business

This is the theme for 90% of frat parties, but how many of you can actually say you’ve seen the movie? I promise you, you won’t be disappointed if you give this one a try. While his parents are out of town for the weekend, Tom Cruise runs a brothel, ruins his Dad’s car, and still manages to fit in his Princeton interview. This wild movie will keep you on edge until the end, and you’ll have plenty of laughs along the way.

5. When Harry Met Sally

This is by far one of my favorite movies of all time. It follows the story of two unlikely best friends over the course of ten years, and asks the age-old question, “Can men and women every really just be friends?”With Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan, it’s impossible to not love this romantic comedy. Favorite scenes include the infamous diner scene, and the ending New Year’s Eve scene, of course.

6. Stand By Me

This movie makes the original “squad goals.”Everyone needs a friend like Chris in their life. These four boys go an epic journey in search of the missing body of a young boy. Friendly warning that this is a darker and heavier movie than some of the other ones on the list, but it is a thought-provoking film that is based on a Stephen King novella.

7. Back to the Future

If you’re looking for a sci-fi classic, this one is for you.

Marty McFly, played by Michael J. Fox, stars in this iconic trilogy about a teenage boy that goes back in time with the help of a quacky scientist, Doc Brown, played by Christopher Lloyd. The original shows off not only the best of the ‘80s but also the music and culture of the 1950’s. Strap into the DeLorean time machine, and make sure the flux capacitor has enough plutonium to make it back home.

8. Footloose

You may have seen the recent remake, but I bet a lot of you haven't seen the original. I love both versions, but honestly, no one can top Kevin Bacon. Even if you’re not big on musicals, you can still appreciate the plot and laugh at Willard, played by Chris Penn, learning how to dance.

9. Dirty Dancing

“Nobody puts Baby in a corner.” There are millions of spin-offs and spoofs of this classic romantic comedy, including Crazy Stupid Love, Saturday Night Live, and most recently, an NFL Super Bowl commercial. Why not see what all the hype is about? Everyone should experience Patrick Swayze lifting Jennifer Grey sky high over his head.

10. Top Gun

Another Tom Cruise classic. Forever waiting for Tom Cruise and his pilot buddies to serenade me in a bar.

This movie has enough action to keep the guys satisfied, and enough shirtless beach volleyball scenes to keep the ladies interested. Begging people to watch this so they decide if they are “Goose,” or “Maverick.”