The Best Classes To Take At Montclair State University

That Were Surprisingly the Best

1673

As registration time begins, and stress begins to seep into every student at Montclair State, it once again is time to battle it out for the best classes one can pick. Below is a compiled list from older students who have a special place in their hearts for these classes.

The Best/ Coolest Classes to Choose from Montclair State University!

Anth-100 Cultural Anthropology

Cultural Anthropology. Introduction to the basic concepts, goals, and research strategies of anthropology, the nature of culture, its role in human experience, and its universality. Presentation of cross-cultural examples and conceptual frameworks for understanding and explaining cultural diversity. Meets Gen Ed 2002 - Social Science, Non-Western Cultural Perspectives. Meets World Cultures Requirement. 3 hours lecture.

Beginning Amer Sign Language

Beginning American Sign Language I. Special fee. This course introduces students to American Sign Language (ASL). Students will master basic structures of ASL. They will acquire a sizeable vocabulary, and they will achieve the ability to participate in conversations on a variety of topics. Meets World Languages Requirement. 3 hours lecture.

Theorizing Communication and Media Arts.

Prerequisites: CMDA 110; School of Communication and Media majors only. This course introduces major theoretical perspectives and debates in the interdisciplinary fields of communication and media and provides key concepts used in the criticism of different types of media and texts. Theoretical approaches include political economy, semiotics, visual aesthetics, psychoanalysis, effects and reception, feminism, cultural studies, Marxism, and postmodernism which are then applied to a wide range of texts and structures (radio, film, television, music, advertising, news, the Internet, etc). Previous course SPCM 201 effective through Spring 2012. 3 hours lecture.

Going Viral

Going Viral. Prerequisites: CMDA 110; School of Communication and Media (SCMD) majors only. In this course we will explore media concepts and theories and contemporary viral phenomena. We will investigate the evolution of different media and the impact of emerging media on society. Our focus will be on the contemporary scene of technological innovations and how social media are transforming the way we do business, politics, entertainment and activism. The degree to which emerging media present challenges, opportunities, or both is a fundamental question that will guide our dialogue. You will also have the opportunity to use digital media technologies throughout the course and plan, design and create new media content for your projects. 3 hours lecture.

Communications Sciences & Disorders

Fields of Communication Sciences and Disorders. An orientation to: practices in the field, philosophies of rehabilitation, areas of scientific inquiry and the relationship with other disciplines and specialties. 3 hours lecture.

Creative Thinking

Creative Thinking. This course is an opportunity for students to access and harness the creative side of the brain. The course will be project-oriented and will include interactions with professional artists and thinkers who visit campus. The course encourages students to synthesize a theoretical and experiential approach to the creative process and pulls from a wide variety of disciplines, including the sciences, humanities, social sciences, and performing arts. Students will be required to attend 2-3 events outside of class time. 3 hours lecture.

Basically anything in the English Department.

Entrepreneurial Mindset

The Entrepreneurial Mindset and Innovation. Prerequisites: ENWR 105 or HONP 100. Special fee. This hands-on, highly interactive course is for all students interested in someday starting or owning a business or enterprise, or just exploring how entrepreneurs think and innovate. Students pursuing any major or discipline will benefit from the lessons and real-life stories of guest entrepreneurs. Students will explore creative problem solving and, in teams, develop and test problem solutions using an "opportunity discovery canvas" approach. Teams will receive guidance and feedback from instructors, mentors, and guest speakers. This course may be taken as a stand-alone course or as the first of three courses leading to a Certificate in Entrepreneurship. 3 hours lecture.

Intro to Gay, Lesbian, Bi, Trans, Queer

Introduction to Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer (GLBTQ) Studies. The course introduces students to current research in the study of same-sex individuals, relationships and communities and the social construction framework for analyzing contemporary gendered identities, sexualities, and the discourses and practices that maintain them. Meets Gen Ed 2002 - Social Science, Social Science. Previous course GLQS 200 effective through Spring 2015. 3 hours lecture.

General Oceanography

General Oceanography. A general study of the oceans and methods of modern oceanography including the physical, chemical, geological, and biological aspects of the oceans and their interrelationships. This course is designed for non-science majors. Previous course GEOS 162 effective through Spring 2012. 3 hours lecture.

Intro to Art Therapy

Introduction to Art Therapy. Special fee. An historical and theoretical overview including the literature and current trends in the field. Students will use a variety of art materials to express personal symbolism, fantasy, and dreams. Open to non-majors. 3 hours lecture.

Photography Beg I: Contemp Art Form

Photography Beginning I: Contemporary Art Form. Special fee. The essentials of the photographic process including developing, enlarging, and exhibiting. Trips, films, discussions, lectures, criticism and demonstration. Meets Gen Ed 2002 - Fine and Performing Arts. 6 hours studio.

Fundementals of Speech

Fundamentals of Speech: Communication Requirement. Special fee. This course introduces students to the theoretical and practical requirements of different types of public presentations and helps students develop an understanding and appreciation of the dynamic nature of the communicationprocess. The course focuses on the basic elements of the communication process, listening, communicator and audience characteristics, basic research skills, and message composition and delivery. Students learn about the demands of public presentations in culturally and professionally diverse environments and develop presentation competence and flexibility. Meets Gen Ed 2002 - Communication, Communication. Previous course SPCM 101 effective through Spring 2012. 3 hours lecture.

Intro to Women’s Studies

Introduction to Women's Studies. A team of two or more faculty members from various disciplines, employing scientific, sociological, historical, and artistic insights, methods and data examines the sources and meanings of different treatments of women in this and other human societies. 3 hours lecture.

How to Watch TV

How to Watch Television. Prerequisites: CMDA 110. This course analyzes television in the ways and to the extent to which it needs to be understood by its audience. The aim is for students to critically evaluate the role and impact of television in their lives as well as in our culture. This is achieved by an approach that combines media theory and criticism with media education. Previous course BDCS 220 effective through Spring 2012. 3 hours lecture.

Creativity for Theatre Artists

Creativity for Theatre Artists. Special fee. An exploration of the creative impulse as expressed through the medium of theatre. This is a course intended to ground the student with an understanding of the self, the process, and provide a beginning exploration of the elements and principles of artistic expression specific to theatre. 3 hours lecture.

Introduction to Black Studies

Introduction to Black Studies. This course is designed: (1) to introduce and define the origins, relevance and scope of Black Studies and to discuss critically major challenges facing Black Studies; (2) to introduce and to delineate fundamental issues and areas for critical discussion in the discipline and the seven core areas of Black Studies (Black History, Black Religion, Black Social Organization, Black Politics, Black Economics, Black Creative Production, Black Psychology), as well as the emergence and development of Afrocentricity, Black Women's Studies, Multicultural Studies, and Classical African Studies; and (3) to raise provocative questions about the Black experience which cultivate the use of and an appreciation for inquiry and analysis as indispensable tools to an effective grasp and critical discussion of Black Studies. 3 hours lecture

Internet & Social Media Marketing

Internet and Social Media Marketing. Prerequisites: MKTG 240 or MKTG 300. Major within School of Business, Fashion Studies. Starting Fall 2016: MKTG 240 or MKTG 300; Business Administration major, Fashion Studies. Special fee. This course discusses how digital and social media technology is changing how organizations and consumers engage in marketing activities - creating, pricing, distributing and promoting products, services, and ideas. It will use conceptual frameworks and practical approaches to explore how websites, search engines, mobile apps, SaaS, and social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram enhance market-research processes, drive efficiencies in customer acquisition and retention, drive innovations and disruptive change, thus increasing customer and brand value. Students will apply their learning to complete a real-life project during the course. 3 hours lecture.

The History of Broadway

The History of Broadway. Introduction to the varieties of style in music for the purpose of extending dramatic action, characterization and atmosphere in musicals, operettas and musical comedies. Representative works from 1927 to present. Meets Gen Ed 2002 - Fine and Performing Arts. Previous course MUGN 236 effective through Spring 2014. 3 hours lecture.

Intro to Nutrition & Food Sci Prof

Introduction to Nutrition and Food Science Profession. Prerequisites: Nutrition and Food Science majors with concentration in Food Management(NUFM), Dietetics (NUFD), Food Systems (NUSY), Applied Nutrition (NUFA) or General (NUFG); or Nutrition and Food Science (NUFS) minors. Starting Winter 2016: Nutrition and Food Science majors with concentration in Dietetics (NUFD), Food Systems (NUSY), Applied Nutrition (NUFA) or Food Science (NUFC); or Nutrition and Food Science minors (NUFS). An introductory course which provides general information about nutrition and food science fields and acquaints students with professional requirements and opportunities. 1 hour lecture.

Ethics

Ethics. The nature of ethical judgments, the meaning of moral concepts, the conditions of moral responsibility and the methodological presuppositions of ethical theories in philosophy and religion. Meets the 2002 General Education Requirement - Humanities, Philolosphy/Religion. 3 hours lecture.

Religions of the World

Religions of the World. The major religious traditions, with emphasis on basic beliefs and on the nature and diversity of religious awareness. Meets Gen Ed 2002 - Humanities, Philosophy or Religion. 3 hours lecture.

Any gym class

Since they are mandatory, many people have been pleasantly surprised with most of the classes, if you can get in them on time that is.
Ex: Yoga, Social Dance, Bowling, Figure Skating.

Professional Makeup Artistry

Professional Level Challenges in Makeup Artistry. Prerequisites: ARTX 150 and ARTX 151. An intensive experience-based course in professional level makeup artistry as practiced in the fashion and beauty industry. Topics include makeup for the camera, working with designers in fashion, and portfolio development. 3 hours lecture.

Remember,
Each semester as a "full time" student, you are paying the same amount regardless as long as you are between 12-19 credits, so stray away from things you know too well and take some classes, you never know what can happen!
And may the odds be ever in your favor.