Class Of 2020, Remember This​

Class Of 2020, Remember This​

For my fellow high school seniors...

356
Class Of 2020, Remember This​
Photo by Jen Theodore on Unsplash

This is not the ending we all expected.

I know what you're thinking. If you could have just that one last (or even first) prom, that one last inspiring conversation with your favorite teacher, that last track season that you've been preparing for all winter, or that last performance. However, now is not the time to think about that. Right now you shouldn't be dwelling on the "what ifs" or "what could've been", but instead think about all of the past memories that you have made throughout the past four years.

Look back to the beginning of freshman year, where you entered a new building with new people and new classes for the first time. Think back to your first lunch, entering the lunch room having no idea where to sit or who to sit with. Don't forget that you found that spot to sit, you found a table with your friend group, you found that group of new people who let you sit with them, and because of that you found new friends that you would never thought you would be sitting with.

Remember your first football game, whether you were on the team, preforming on the field and in the bleachers with the band, cheering on the sidelines, or simply in the student section dressing up for the theme of the night. Wherever you were, don't forget to how it felt to watch the team win the first game. How amazing it felt to watch the team run on the field together while the band played "Hey Baby" and slowly changed the tune while everyone locked arms and swayed to the Alma Mater.

Think about how it felt to get ready for your first dance. Going dress shopping with a group of friends, getting to try on that first tux, making appointments for your hair and makeup at your favorite salon, or just having your friend do it. Remember that day where you got to leave school early to get ready for the dance and stopping for lunch before going to get ready. Reminisce on looking in the mirror the first time, how you were able to see yourself with that favorite dress or that brand new suit, eager to get in the car and go to the dance.

Remember this past September, how you walked into the school on your first last day, being able to finally see your favorite teachers again and meet new ones that would soon have a special place in your heart. For the rest of your life you will never forget those teachers, as they impacted how you have grown.

Everyone understands how we are feeling, and right now it may seem that there is no hope in sight, but take the time to remember the amazing experiences we had. High school may be officially over, and of course it did not end how we all had pictured it. Yet, even with all that we are going through, never forget what high school gave us.