I Am Away As My City Is Being Destroyed

I Am Away As My City Is Being Destroyed

Where is the love, Charlotte?

15
I Am Away As My City Is Being Destroyed
Independent Journal Review
"People killin', people dyin'
Children hurt and you hear them cryin'
Can you practice what you preach?
Or would you turn the other cheek?"

Ever thought Black-eyed Peas would be talking about your home? Yeah, neither did I.

If you haven't been watching the news, riots are taking place all round the country. Homes are being destroyed, lives are being taken, and people are suffering. Earlier this week I learned that my beautiful city was one of the ones that are suffering. The only difference is, I am not there.

I am 300 miles from my home as I watch it fall to pieces. I am forced to sit in front of the television as I see the national news report how our beautiful city is literally being burned to the ground.

If you aren't up-to-date with the happenings in Charlotte, North Carolina, let me brief you. I-85, a major highway, was caught on fire, many businesses in Uptown have been broken into and destroyed and so many more horrible disasters have happened.

I feel for those who are there in the city, experiencing the chaos, but I also feel for those who aren't there. Those of us who aren't there have to watch our family and friends suffer and I can't help but wonder why.

Why are people rioting? Why are they destroying this beautiful city? Don't they know that this city was my home? For three years I grew and developed into this human being in the Queen City and now all of these people don't even seem to care. The city that gave them life and opportunity, they are now terrorizing.

This is more than a race problem. This is a respect problem. Respect for ourselves, for each other, and for our city.

I want to be home. I want to be there in the midst of it to show the people how great Charlotte can be. I want to teach them that this is not the answer. Burning and fighting will not fix your problems. All it is doing is giving the news something to report. Can't you see that this is causing more pain than good?

I am sitting here at my computer, in Orlando Florida, and all I can think about is my home. I have never been more frustrated and let down before in a city.

Charlotte, I want you to know something. I have loved you from the moment I have known you. But now, I am embarrassed to have you on my name tag. I am ashamed in what you are doing to yourself and I only wish that you can see that too. It hurts to know that outsiders see Charlotte as now a city of hate and disgust, instead of the beautiful place it can be.

The Black-eyed peas had it right. Where is the love?

"But if you only have love for your own race
Then you only leave space to discriminate
And to discriminate only generates hate
And when you hate then you're bound to get irate"