10 Unique Trivia Facts You Didn't Know About Cincinnati

10 Cincinnati Facts You Didn't Already Know, Unless You're Nati Native Through And Through

A few things that make Cincinnati different from other cities.

264

Anyone who was born and raised either near Cincinnati or in the region knows that there are a lot of things that make it different from any other place. Whether it's our restaurants, stores or culture, people who live in Cincinnati often don't realize that there are a lot of things in Cincinnati that you don't encounter in other states. If you're a student coming from out of state and going to college near Cincinnati, there are a few things that you'll notice that differ from your hometown.

Here are 10 unique things that you don't know about Cincinnati.

1. Most people from Cincinnati will argue about Skyline vs. Gold Star Chili.

Skyline Chili Coneys

I can't tell you how many times I've heard someone argue about which restaurant has better chili! If you go to any region near Cincinnati, you will see Skyline and Gold Star restaurants. One thing that Cincinnati is known for is its chili. Cincinnati is the only place that has Skyline and Gold Star Chili restaurants, which serve coneys (hot dogs with chili, cheese, onions, and mustard) or three-ways (spaghetti noodles with chili and cheese).

Both of the restaurants compete with one another, and many people will fight about which place has the best chili. I live in Fairfield, which is an hour away from Cincinnati, and I've always liked both places, but you can decide for yourself which one you think is better.

2. The weather is always unpredictable.

Weather

Photo by Nathan Anderson on Unsplash

If you're going to Cincinnati, you'll need to know that when you think it's going to be cool, it will always be the opposite. The weather is very unpredictable. Even if you check the weather every minute, you are never able to predict what it will be like the next day. Often I'll find myself going outside in jeans only to find myself running back inside to change into shorts. The weather is something that you'll always hear people complain about.

3. In certain parts of town, there are tons of cornfields.

Photo by Travis Essinger on Unsplash

If you drive out of the city and don't find a cornfield, then you should consider yourself lucky. Outside Cincinnati, there are tons of regions that have a lot of cornfields, particularly Fairfield. On the plus side, during the fall the cornfields will be used as haunted mazes!

4. You'll always hear complaining about football.

Bengals

Photo by SteelCityHobbies on Flickr

Another complaint you'll hear the most is about sports, particularly football. Being a Bengals fan is complicated since one minute you'll be rooting for your team to win and the next you'll find yourself complaining about them. But people in Cincinnati can be very passionate about sports, particularly football and baseball.

5. Cincinnati has a lot of different art.

Aronoff Center

When you go to Cincinnati, you can see different art museums. There're also different theaters that you can visit to see plays. You go to the Aronoff Center or Play House in the Park. There are tons of different things to do in the city.

6. It has the biggest Oktoberfest.

Oktoberfest

Photo by Digital Cat on Flickr

Cincinnati has the biggest Oktoberfest around. During Oktoberfest, Cincinnati celebrates its German heritage, and you find food vendors that sell all different kinds of German food. There's also live music and beer that's served in the city. It's one of the biggest festivals in Cincinnati, and it's something that you can't miss!

7. You'll constantly hear someone mention B-dubs.

Buffalo Wild Wings

Photo by Mike Mozart on Flickr

If you don't hear people around Cincinnati talking about Skyline Chili, you'll hear them mentioning Buffalo Wild Wings (also known as B-dubs). It's a sports bar where you can get wings in any type of sauce, whether you like them spicy or sweet! When you're in Cincinnati, you'll always hear people talking about it.

8. It has the longest wooden roller coaster.

When you go to Cincinnati, you'll hear about Kings Island, which has the longest wooden roller coaster in the world! It takes up 35 acres of land and lasts more than four minutes! It's also been around since 1979. It's definitely worth seeing when you first come to Cincinnati.

9. Graeter's Ice Cream was founded in Cincinnati.

Graeters

Photo by Hannaford on Flickr

A lot of people don't know this, but Graeters started in Cincinnati in 1868. It's the one ice cream place that everyone goes to in Cincinnati, and if you ask anyone around Cincinnati, they'll probably mention their favorite ice cream is at Graeter's.

10. Cincinnati loves its baseball team.

Reds Baseball

Photo by Keith Allison on Flickr

Besides football, you'll hear a lot of people in Cincinnati mention the baseball team known as the Reds. The Reds have won five World Series. In Cincinnati, there's also a Reds Hall of Fame Museum that features different facts about the Reds. It's a neat place to visit if you get the chance!

If you're coming out of town to Cincinnati or have just started college around the region, you'll want to know these things. There are a lot of unique things about Cincinnati that differ from other cities. And the students who grew up around Cincinnati often don't realize that most of what they grew up around is not common in other states or cities. It's what makes Cincinnati a unique city to live in.