I said it, Christopher Columbus is Not An American Hero!

Down with Columbus!

11
Missing Christopher Columbus Statue in Arrigo Park Chicago IL.
Clariza Adao

On July 24, 2020, Mayor Lori Lightfoot implemented the removal of the Christopher Columbus monuments in Chicago in response to the upcoming protests. Many people are tired of being confronted with constant social injustice. Removing the statues is an attempt to ensure a safe environment and public safety throughout the safety. Controversy has risen about whether getting rid of the monuments was effective.

Christopher Columbus was formerly known as an American Hero. He has been taught in the curriculum throughout schools in America. There is ever a national holiday for Christopher Columbus on October 12 to celebrate him discovering the Americas. I vividly remember learning about Christopher Columbus being an important icon in American history throughout grade school. He founded the Americas and we would not be here today if it were not for him. However, this perception changed when I came to high school.

Freshman year of high school, per usual, we learned about Christopher Columbus. However, we learned about him from a different perspective. For starters, he did not actually discover the Americas. In addition, I learned that he was guilty of the exploitation of indigenous people, genocide, and he brought diseases to the Americas. My initial reaction: I was flabbergasted. Why are schools not telling their students about THIS side of Christopher Columbus?

I am not ashamed to say this: Christopher Columbus is not an American Hero. He does not deserve positive recognition and fame for discovering the Americas. It's reassuring to see that more people are learning about this side of Christopher Columbus. Indigenous People Day, which was formerly known as Christopher Columbus Day, highlights the villain Christopher Columbus really is. Of course, not everyone agrees with this. Some refuse to see him for what he really is.

With the tensions that are going on in society right now, it is important for us to be socially aware. Continue learning more about different cultures and American history, no matter how harsh it might be. Acknowledging our mistakes is a step closer to not repeating history.