Christmas Time As Told By Your Jewish Friend

Because we're proud of our 'mensch on a bench' but also really want to decorate a tree.

33
newsday

The weeks leading up to Christmas are definitely the most joyous ones of the entire year. Twinkling lights drape over houses and catchy songs that honestly aren't the best, but find themselves in your vocal cords anyway, can be heard in cars everywhere. But, then there are those few less fortunate souls who merely have the pleasure of experiencing Christmas second hand. While you're planning whose house to spend the holiday at so Aunt Susan doesn't get offended when you go to her house on Christmas Eve instead of Christmas Day, and spending Black Friday shopping for gifts instead of for yourself, we're chilling over here. Over here is where we silently watching you and your insanely hyped holiday, but also wish we could take part, even just once. Here are some specifics on what's running through our minds over here in Jewland!

1. Why aren't there more Hanukkah decorations?

I'm the first person to comment on a house that is beautifully decorated for Christmas, but I'm also the first to be slightly offended when I walk into a store that has exactly zero Hanukkah decorations. Like obviously, the market for Christmas decorations in a tad bigger, but us Jews like to get a little festive too!

2. Tree decorating is like a sport to these people

Anytime I've ever spent at a friend's house during Christmas time has begun with admiring the tree. Families take this stuff seriously, and honestly, a beautiful tree takes skill! As an outsider observer, I've had the pleasure of seeing what works and what doesn't, and I only wish Hanukkah bushes could be made a little bigger so I could really show what I've learned. Hey, maybe if I ignore my grandma's wishes and don't marry an NJB (nice Jewish boy) I'll get the chance one day!

3. I want a month long holiday too!

The month of December is fully devoted to Christmas. Even those not celebrating know that December means Christmas cookie baking, gingerbread house decorating, Santa in malls everywhere, and Christmas carols nonstop. I can't say I don't enjoy it, but I would like a Jewish holiday that's surrounded by this much hype!

4. Presents on presents on presents

If you think every Jewish kid has not dreamed about waking their parents up early and running down the stairs on Christmas morning to open presents by the tree, then you're fooling yourself. I'm honestly in awe at the amount of effort that goes into buying Christmas presents for loved ones around this holiday. It's both heartwarming and saddening because I only get to experience Black Friday as a means of excusing my excessive shopping habit.

5. Is it bad that I think Christmas movies are way better than Hanukkah ones?

Speaking of movies, 25 days of Christmas on ABC is honestly the highlight of my year. Why are Christmas movies so comforting? But, as narrow as our selection of Hanukkah-related movies is, we do have some gems including "Full Court Miracle" and Adam Sandler's very own "Eight Crazy Nights" (so good!).

6. Literally, nothing can beat Chinese food and an empty movie theater

All in all, as much as I would love to enter a tree decorating competition and drown myself in Christmas presents, I still love my Christmas traditions just as much!

No matter what holiday you are or aren't celebrating this holiday season, embrace it! There's always gonna be someone out there silently judging you. But, there are without a doubt tons more people envious of however you're celebrating your holiday, or your life in general if that's what floats your boat!