How To Get In The Christmas Spirit During Finals Week

It's (almost) the most wonderful time of the year.

47
We Know Your Dreams

If you're like me, dealing with finals has completely distracted you from the fact that Christmas is coming. And if you're even more like me, Christmas is incontestably the best time of year, so from Black Friday onwards you want to spend every second soaking up the spirit of the season. But now that we've had our first snow, I think it's time to start feeling Christmas – at least so we have something to look forward to as we get through our finals. So here's a list of things we can do to get in the Christmas spirit:

1. Keep the Christmas music you love playing.

There's nothing like department-store "carols" whining over a speaker to make you yearn for the far side of January. But real music, especially music we love, can fill our spirits like nothing else. Make yourself a playlist of the Christmas songs you've heard since you were a kid, the ones that get you dancing in the car or wanting to run out and play in the snow. Play those to tie yourself to the Christmas season, even if you're still buried in finals.

2. Decorate.

Even if you're stuck in your dorm room studying the night away for the foreseeable future, try to take a few spare seconds to decorate. Anything colorful or bright or festive will do – paper, string lights, pictures, cut-out snowflakes – something that can remind you what time of year it is when you look up from your textbook.

3. Queue up your favorite Christmas movies.

The thought of vegging out to Netflix for an hour after I finish my homework is sometimes all the motivation I need to get the job done. Why not make use of that to get in the Christmas spirit? Think A Charlie Brown Christmas, think A Muppet's Christmas Carol, think Die Hard or The Nightmare Before Christmas or It's a Wonderful Life – have whatever Christmas movie you've loved to see since you were a kid waiting for you at the end of the finals tunnel.

4. Try to laugh more.

The song recommends a holly jolly Christmas for a reason – this time of year is all about joy and celebration, which may not seem likely at the best of times. All the more reason for us to appreciate the crazy random happenstance of life. Look up a comedy routine when you're taking a study break, or go through weird photos of you and your friends. Make yourself laugh, get those happy juices in your brain flowing. It makes the whole world brighter.

5. Eat Christmasy foods.

Whether it's sugar cookies, candy canes, peppermint anythings, or gingerbread, taste is second only to scent in the immediacy with which our body responds to it. Eating anything that reminds you of Christmas will shift your brain into Christmastime before you can say "Jingle Bells!"

6. Don't forget to be happy and present in the moment.

Mindfulness is all the rage right now – but for good reason. Being able to stay consciously aware helps you form better memories and appreciate life more keenly. Staying mindful at Christmas, and allowing yourself to enjoy it and be grateful for all you have, can warm your heart through the coldest all-nighter.