Christmas Has Been Moved To October 11th

Decorations are being put out too early!

445

Christmas decorations have been going up earlier and earlier every year. Therefore, I'm starting a petition to move Christmas to October 11th. When I was a kid, winter decorations would come out around Thanksgiving and Black Friday. As someone who has worked in retail for a while now, they tend to come out as soon as Halloween is over. But this year, Christmas is in October. On October 11th to be specific, because this is the day my retail store got our Christmas stock in.

At my work, Christmas decorations are up at the same time as Halloween decorations. They are up even before Halloween has happened. And you know what? People are buying them.

Christmas trees with Halloween inflatablesMaddy McKeever

'It's never to early for Christmas' is a lie-it's two months away. I doubt people prep for Valentine's Day in December.

I understand it from a retailer's perspective; 'it's the most wonderful (profitable) time of the year'. Everyone spends and spends for Christmas, and the sooner the decorations are out, the sooner people can start spending their money on it. And people will spend their money on it.

I had a woman come in the other day to our store and ask us how much a penguin lawn ornament was because they always sell out before she can get her hands on them. We were still putting up our setup for the holiday, and decorations weren't even all out of boxes, let alone on shelves. But she looked through the few that were up already. She ended up buying three of the penguins!

It's quite startling to look out from one side of the service desk and see skeletons and howling werewolves, then turning around to see rows upon rows of Christmas trees. It's wrong to have Christmas up before Halloween has even happened.

Retail world, just stop already. I just want to enjoy my favorite holiday: HALLOWEEN.