A Christian's Perspective On The Orlando Shooting

An apology on behalf of Christian insensitivity in this tragedy.

17
TheOdysseyOnline

Upon hearing about the shooting in Orlando, I was shocked. Some man mercilessly going into a public place and opening fire. 50 human beings. 50 people. 50 lives. 50 loved ones. Bang and gone. The level of a person’s morality can be so disgusting. That is not only limited to Omar Mateen. Fellow Christians were declaring this event in the name of God, and that it was God’s wrath being taken out on the victims of this heinous crime.

Whether each person involved in the shooting was white, black, Asian, Indian, men, women, Christian, atheist, Muslim, heterosexual, or homosexual- God loves each and every person. From the victims to the shooter. Despite what we do with our lives, God loves us. Romans 5:8 declares: But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. God loves us even if we don’t love him. 1 John 4:10 says “This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.” Furthermore, God does not wish destruction or harm on people. His hope is only for people to turn their lives to him. The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. (2 Peter 3:9)

Furthermore, as Christians are supposed to love everyone. We are on earth to be a light in the darkness. To show God’s love. We are called to love everyone. It is actually our most important commandment from God. The bible reads- “Love your neighbor as yourself.” No other commandment is greater than this.’ So while our Christian belief is that marriage is to be between a man and a woman that does not give us any authority to wish harm on people. It does not give us the right to declare that it was the wish of God to happen. Since after all, even if the bible says homosexuality is wrong, it does not put that above any other sin. If it is God’s will to take his wrath out on sinners, all Christians would be dead. None of us are perfect. We all sin. We all fall short. I make mistakes more often than I would like. It would be hypocritical to go around pointing fingers at what everyone else is doing wrong, then evaluate our own lives.

Personally, I have friends who are homosexual. I do not treat them any different than a friend who is heterosexual. Since they are a friend. A person. A valued life. I love them as a person, not how they choose to live their lives. However this does not mean as Christians we are to keep our beliefs quiet. However, with respect you can listen to them, and respecfully discuss your beliefs on the subject. My gay friends know my stance on homosexuality. Yet, we are still friends. The LGBTQ community has suffered enough hate from other people. Omar Mateen made this hatred into the largest mass shooting America has seen in history. It is our Christian duty to extend love to those affected by this situation. It is our duty to show love every day. Our strongest way to evangelize and witness is not going around shouting Jesus everywhere. It is living in a way, with love and compassion, so differently than what people see in society that they ask what is different.

If anyone has been treated other than this by a Christian, in light of recent events, I apologize. Since every loss of life is a tragedy. What everyone involved needs is love. I'm sorry if you've received anything but.