Christians Can Have Fun Too

Christians Can Have Fun Too

Even though there are guidelines God places in our paths, fun can still be had!

2227
Christians Can Have Fun Too
Christian Campus House

Throughout my life I've had people misunderstand me. Because this is such a norm for me, I didn't notice how many times people have told me that I live a square life. I don't have one. Their number one reason for having this misconception of me is because I am a Christian. Because I follow God with my life, I'm not allowed to have fun.

This has always puzzled me. I don't understand why people think I'm not allowed to have fun. I also don't understand why this is such a common misunderstanding.

This has left me in search of finding a way to describe to someone that I (and they) can have fun even while following Christ. All the articles I've read and the people I've talked to have not worded exactly how my thoughts align. Many people talk about how with Jesus you find joy and that is better than fun. I get that, I really do, but fun and joy are two different things. Joy is a gift and fun is a worldly desire that God allows us to have. Also, joy needs a completely different article because it's probably the best state to be in.

With fun, I think people tend to forget that God wants us to have fun. God has placed us on Earth with a multitude of activities to participate in, many items to own and play with, and too many people to count. All of these things surround us and yet people think that God doesn't allow us to have fun.

This is just not true, my friends. God wants us to have fun. He created us with the ability to be amused and to laugh. Those are indicators that God wants us to enjoy the life we have around us. God allowed us to discover ice cream and pizza. God has allowed us to create anything from puzzles to video games to roller coasters in order to fulfill our desire to have enjoyment in our lives.

God is also a huge supporter of creating relationships. Relationships are built on the time we spend together. The best relationships are with the people you can be serious with and have FUN with. Why? Because God knows that's what we need.

God doesn't keep us from having fun - He keeps us safe. All these rules people claim God gives us aren't to keep us from enjoying life - they keep us from falling. They keep us from straying down a path that won't be healthy for us. God gives you the opportunity to decide your limits on your own, but I guarantee that where He convicts you to draw the line is where you should stop.

With that being said, let's get to the normal touchy subjects: sex, drugs, and alcohol.

The easy one is drugs. Don't do them. God doesn't want you to be out of control of your body so much so that you are dependent on something other than Him. He doesn't want you to have to take a pill for the rest of your life just to experience a sense of relief. If you get enjoyment from taking drugs, I guarantee there is a deeper underlying reason for this. Take it to God. Try prayer. Then create relationships with people who can help you. Have fun with them in healthy ways. Don't destroy your body that God calls a temple.

Sex. The common thought is that God says no sex before marriage. I concur, no doubt. The problem is that people consider this guideline to be no fun. I disagree. God is trying to protect you. Sex is much more than a physical activity. To guard your heart, mind, and purity, God asks you to wait. That doesn't mean you can't go on dates and have fun with your boyfriend or girlfriend in other ways. Go to the movies, have dinner, play games, go out with friends, cuddle, star gaze, go on a walk. There are plenty of other things in the world to do other than have sex. Why not protect your purity?

Now to the big one. First, let me state that God does not clearly define how much alcohol is okay and how much is not. What He does state is that we should not allow something to be in control of us. With that being said, many Christians decide how much alcohol is okay for them based upon their personal convictions and how their body reacts with alcohol. For some, this is none at all and for others it could be three, four, or five drinks. Regardless, your limit keeps you under control. It keeps you from making mistakes you may later regret. It keeps you in the know. It keeps you from feeling guilty. Whatever the reason may be for your limit, God wants to protect you from the other side. So go out and have a drink or two - just don't go overboard.

With all of that being said, we should be so in love with God that there aren't rules or guidelines we have to follow. We should want to honor God with everything we encounter and have available to us. We should enjoy His creation to the utmost excitement. This means we can participate in the crazy activities our friends encourage us to. We can go to the parties and be a part of different organizations. We can be in relationships and drink alcohol. We just need to keep in mind that we need to be honoring to God. Fun can be had.

This is coming from someone who has experienced this firsthand. I like to believe I'm a fun person. I like to think that I love doing crazy, spontaneous things. I don't do typical stuff. I don't sit in my room all the time and think of the next article I'm gonna write. I don't sit and watch criminal minds 24/7 (okay, maybe I do that). But I don't read my Bible ALL THE TIME. If all I did was read my Bible, then I couldn't put what I read into action.

God has also helped me develop new ideas of fun. I have discovered that sharing His story with others is fun. Getting to know new people is so enjoyable. I love going on mission trips and serving other people. If anything, I would say that Christianity has expanded my understanding of the fun I am "allowed" to have. God has opened my eyes to what is truly enjoyable and how much fun following His "rules" can bring.

Having fun is God's way of showing us part of His nature. Laughter is the best medicine. He created that.