Yes I Am a Christian, And Yes I Still Struggle

My Faith Doesn't Make Me Better Than Anyone Else

11
Natalia Parkinson

Yes, I am a Christian, and yes I still struggle. I grew up in the church my whole life.

My faith is a huge part of my life- and it is something that I am very proud of. Don't worry- I know that some of you are thinking- you are thinking of all the Christians you know who think better of themselves because of their religion. Trust me, yes I am a Christian, but no I don't think I am better because of it. I still struggle just like everyone else. Life with faith isn't all rainbows and butterflies sown together with coffee, some bible verses and a cute Instagram photo. Life is difficult, it's agonizing and sometimes it seems like even faith can't help you.

As a Christian in the millennial generation, i've heard this common misconception that people who find God, or whatever they put their faith in, have all their problems simply washed away. I think that we are so caught up about painting this perfect picture of what our faith looks like- that we forget what is important. Just because I believe in God doesn't mean that I'm automatically happy all the time, or that everything is perfect and I dislike that people automatically assume they know me, because they know my religion.

I am human. Let me say it again for the people in the back. I am human. I still make mistakes, I struggle with temptation, with earthy things. I fail, and I mess up. Let me say this, Just because you claim a religion, doesn't mean you get a "good life always" card. It isn't the proclamation of faith that gives you anything. My faith isn't something I use as an excuse for my behavior. I am flawed, in every sense of the word. I hold grudges, I make countless mistakes, i am forever asking for forgiveness from my Father.

To the ones who feel jaded by faith because other people, cut yourself a little slack- I know the God I believe in wants nothing more than to get to know you, and love you. For the ones who are in the same boat as me- struggling to be this "perfect christian" stop. I say stop because you shouldn't be living your life for the ones around you, and the ONLY opinion that matters is the one of Your Creator. There is no need to beat yourself up because you made a mistake or mess up. You are human, and you will make mistakes, don't let that discourage you because you are trying your best with such good intentions. You've got this.

Lets stop making life a competition to see who is better, and just love each other.

Yes I am a Christian, and yes I am Human, and no I am not better than anyone else.