How Being in a Christian Fellowship Has Changed Me
Religion

Joining A Christian Fellowship Has Had Such A Significant Impact On My College Experience

Chi Alpha has helped me grow so much in so many ways.

274
Casey Clarke

In college, everyone seems to have at least one thing (whether that be a person, club, event, etc.) that helps you grow and changes your perspective of the world. It could potentially shape your college experience into something incredible. While I did not realize it last semester, I can see now that I do have something like this: Chi Alpha.
Contrary to popular belief, Chi Alpha is a not a fraternity or sorority. Instead, it is a Christian fellowship, dedicated to helping people worship and become closer to God. It is a place where people in all stages of their faith can come together and learn from one another.
Chi Alpha has helped me to grow spiritually. While I definitely believed in God before coming to UVA, I was not in a very close relationship with him. I did not read the Bible, did not spend much time in worship, and rarely went to church.
I expected to continue this in college. This changed, however, when I went to a "mug party" sponsored by Chi Alpha on the first weekend that I arrived at UVA. I started to talk to a few of the people in the fellowship and agreed to come to their first night of worship the following Monday.
Then, when it came to be Monday night, I went to Monday Night Live with my roommate and was blown away by it. The auditorium that we were in was packed with hundreds of people, all of which had or wanted to start a strong relationship with God. While the sheer number of people was amazing, it was the passion for God that these people had that left me in awe and made me want to return.
On that same day, I ended up joining a core group, or a small group of other first-years who spent time learning more about God and the Bible. This was where I not only grew my relationship for god, but I also made my closest friends. Everyone in that group is incredibly kind and supportive, and I have definitely had my best moments of college when with them.
Looking back at the beginning of last semester, I can see how much I have grown. I have started to spend more time worshiping God and reading scripture and have grown so much in my relationship with God. I have also found a family and a place where I can belong in the University, which is such an incredible feeling.
So, thank you Chi Alpha and my amazing core group for helping me to learn, grow, and flourish. I can not wait for what is to come in these relationships in the next semester and years to come.