Why I Choose Dunkin Donuts Over Starbucks

Give me my hot cup and iced caramel swirl and I am a happy camper.

469

There comes a time in your life, especially as a New Englander, where you hear the question, “So why Dunkin Donuts and not Starbucks?” way too often. You look at this person as if they have five heads, as if they have just insulted your best friend and you have to hold everything back not to yell your answer in their face. “Because it’s just better, that's why!” But this truly never gives that person the gratification they're looking for, so please allow me to explain for all those out there who wonder why I choose Dunkin Donuts over Starbucks.

The first and obvious reason why I choose DD is because I can go up to the counter with pride and confidence, and place my order actually knowing the size cup I want. Small, medium, large, and extra large. It's all right there. Going to Starbucks, I fear the counter. What if I accidentally order a medium but I wanted a small? What exactly is a venti? Is it a large? No? And now the panic sets in when I get my drink, because who knows what I've just ordered? Ordering my coffee should be a pleasant experience, not a war zone of sweat running down my face and the barista asking me what I want as I cry and tell her to pick it for me. Sadly, this has happened before. (Maybe I need to reevaluate my life.)

Too many flavors and options sometimes can be too much. Frappes, lattes, chais? It’s a different world over in Starbucks. At Dunkin Donuts, they like to keep things simple, but you also have the ability to get creative. I’m a personal lover of a mocha, which is simply coffee and chocolate. See? A little different, but still keeping it simple. It’s a beautiful thing.

Dunkin also has this amazing thing called the hot cup. For some weird but amazing reason, many Dunkin drinkers put their iced coffees into a hot cup. This allows you to have a cold drink even in the cold weather while saving your hands from freezing off. Pretty genius, if you ask me. And yes, drinking an ice cold drink in the middle of winter is pretty normal. Iced peppermint mochas, hello? It’s a little taste of heaven. I feel like if I were to walk into a Starbucks and order an iced latte in the middle of winter, they would look at me like I was crazy. So I'd rather stick to my love, Dunkin Donuts, my people, who understand my needs.

I’m not the richest in the land, but coffee is a must, especially for a busy college schedule. Luckily, Dunkin has that covered, with low/cheap prices that are reasonable for my bank account. If you even go a little extra by getting a coffee and a delicious breakfast sandwich, your total will still be under $5. Do you hear that? It’s the sound of my wallet closing with money still in it after getting my daily fix of happiness. Also, we can’t forget one of the best things Dunkin offers, and that is free coffee when the New England Patriots win a football game. They win and we win. What more could we ask for? Keep up the hard work, Pats, the coffee addicts really need you!

Hopefully this clears up any confusion as to why Dunkin Donuts is favored over Starbucks. Thank you, Dunkin Donuts, for being my savior, you are greatly appreciated.