Choose Passion Over Money Because You'll Be Left With No Regrets

Why it is so hard to choose a career path at 18.

188
Mike Stone

A recent conversation with a friend about college, careers, and the future left me pondering what is it that we really want out of this life? From as far back as I can remember in my academic career, going to college was something that was stressed, and essentially made out to be the normative thing to do after graduation. While I always knew I wanted to get a college education, it's what comes after that which leaves me a bit puzzled as I go through my undergraduate years as a college student.

When I started college, I chose English as my major, because the only thing I really knew that I enjoyed was reading and writing. However, I quickly learned that this was not a popular choice among friends and family. "What can you do with an English degree besides teach or write?", and "how do you plan to make money with that major?" were common questions that I had few answers for. I wasn't thinking so far ahead as choosing possible careers, or what would score me the highest salary, I was just making a choice based on passion. Is that really such a bad thing?

Now, I am halfway to earning my Bachelor's degree. I am a Political Science major with a concentration in Pre-Law, as well as a minor in Psychology. A total 180 from English, I know. So why the change? I figured I could always have a passion for reading and writing, without going to school for it. So I decided to find a new area of study that I enjoyed and could possibly see a future in. After changing my major, I started highly considering going to law school after finishing up with my undergraduate studies. Needless to say, my family was ecstatic. I went from being grilled with questions about my future to constantly hearing "that's amazing" and "we are so proud of you" at any mention of practicing law. Why the difference?

While I did not change my major because of the opinions of those around me, I have noticed a huge change in the reactions I get when talking about my choice of study. The reason? Probably because law school, to most people, sounds like a ticket to bigger bucks than a degree in English. I do have a passion for reading and writing, and I do have a passion for law. But the question is, do we choose our majors, careers, or paths in life based on money or passion? Some would say choose whatever gives you the best of both worlds. My opinion? Money isn't everything.

I've always loved the quote, "love what you do, and you'll never work a day in your life". Nobody wants to be broke, or struggle to pay bills, but personally, I also don't want to hate what I do for a living, or dread going into work everyday just to get a nice paycheck. I've also started to realize passion and money aside, I want to do something with my life that is much bigger than myself. I want to do something that shapes me into the best version of myself that I can possibly be, and realize that there are things much more important than the little stuff I worry about. Will this path make me millions? Probably not. But will I feel satisfied and joy in what I do? Absolutely.

If money is your motivation, then by all means go after it. But if you're stuck between doing what you love, or having a better income, choose passion. Every time. You won't ever regret doing what you're most passionate about, but I can guarantee that if you do something just for money, one day you will look back and wish you hadn't. You might not have the biggest house, or the nicest car, but if you can honestly say that what you do makes you happy, that's what matters most.