The Chocolate Croissant As A Metaphor For Life

What is life but a chocolate croissant?

428

Let's be honest. What is life but a warm chocolate croissant? Philosophers have been trying to figure out what life is about for centuries, but the answer has been at your local coffee shop or bakery all along. From the flaky outer layers, to the moist inner layers, and finally to the gooey chocolate core, I can't think of a better metaphor to explain life.

So I'll start with the flaky outer layers. Think of these like the relationships you have with people you are forced to interact with, but aren't interested in knowing too well. You really try to create this outer shell that is a bit more visually appealing, tougher, and more changeable than the center. If you decide you don't like part of this layer, it will fall off easily anyways. And although it may get burnt, the inside is still safe and sound (Generally). The flakiness of this layer can represent the flakiness of some of these relationships. These are the "friends" that you always make plans with, but never really end up hanging out. That's okay though, because you expected that outer layer of friendship to be a bit fragile anyways. Speaking of fragility, interactions based in this outer layer meant for coworkers, classmates, etc. are always fragile. While there will be some pieces that hang on tight (Maybe a coworker or two), there will be others that fall away more easily (Classmate). Finally, you usually have to sugar coat the outer layer. It makes dealing with reality a little bit easier and tastier.

On to the moist inner layers. This is one of the most enjoyable parts of life and a croissant. This part of the croissant is not very sweet, has a consistent texture, and holds everything together. The predictable nature of this part of the croissant truly defines the croissant itself. Without this predictability, it wouldn't be a croissant. This is our daily life. Our habits, our family, our true friends. It is the part of life that helps us know what to expect. It isn't intensely exciting, but it keeps the stability of life we are looking for. It is the reliable sibling you can always go to no matter what the circumstances are. It is that hobby that always helps you blow off some steam. And you can always expect this part of life to stay pretty much the same unless someone really messed up the recipe or baked the croissant terribly. While this happens sometimes, generally it doesn't (Thankfully).

Finally, we've arrived at the chocolate center. This part of the chocolate croissant is the most pivotal in whether one is satisfied with their croissant/life experience. Maybe there's not enough chocolate, maybe the chocolate is too bitter, or maybe it burns your tongue. Although it is delicious, if it is tweaked too much, you're whole experience is ruined. This is the personal life. Like the super deep relationships in life. The ones that can be so sweet, but so bitter. The ones that can be so hot, but so cold. The worst part is that you can't really know how it will be until you get to the center. You've got to dig deep to figure out whether the chocolate in the center pays off or not. Does it make or break your croissant? Of course it does. Because what is a chocolate croissant with disappointing chocolate? Better hope the barista warms it up before handing it to you.

Life advice based on the chocolate croissant.

Don't bake your croissant for too long. Consider your thoughts as the timer on the oven. You think too much, you'll get burnt. Don't think enough and you're undercooked.

Don't eat your croissant too fast. If you try to bite into the chocolatey center too soon, you're going to burn your tongue for sure. Good things take time, so pace yourself when you enjoy that delicious creation.

Don't wait too long to eat your croissant. Equally as fatal to you're croissant eating experience as getting burned, is letting your croissant go cold. It is just super disappointing when the liquid chocolate is hardened, but you expected to bite into a soft croissant with liquid gold in the middle. Certain aspects in life can go cold just as easily, so make sure to get to them while they're hot!

Don't let your chocolate ooze out of the sides of the croissant. The whole point of the dough is to protect that precious warm chocolate inside. If possible, try to keep it where it belongs! Underneath all the other precious layers of your delicious croissant. Equally as important is keeping your personal life... Personal. Inside the dough please!

Are you hungry yet?