Childrens' Movies We Need To Rewatch

Childrens' Movies We Need To Rewatch

Trust me... it's worth it.

47
Childrens' Movies We Need To Rewatch

We all love our classic Disney movies.They were key factors of our development into adolescence and adulthood. But, as children, there is a world of movies we all knew and loved with every fiber of our beings that also taught us the ways of the world. And, with that, they never get the credit they deserve. Here's is a compiled list of our favorite movies we watch as kids that we need to re-watch.

1. "FernGully: The Last Rainforest" (1992)

What it's about: Fairies live in a forest. Humans try to destroy forest. Fairies fight back. Robin Williams plays a bat.

Why: "FernGully" teaches kids the importance of the environment. The directors have created a world that forces children to be more aware of their actions. In "FernGully," we learned the same lesson that "Pocahontas" taught us; there is a disconnect between humans and Earth. We are disrespectful and reckless in the way we treat it. "FernGully" taught us to respect the Earth and be mindful of how we are littering, wasting and destroying.

How: Unfortunately it is not on Netflix, but you can check it out from TigerReels or your other campus film rental location (also if you do some careful snooping on the internet you may be able to find it).

2. " Matilda" (1996)

What it's about: This is the story of Matilda. A genius little girl and her wonderful teacher battling her awful parents and even more awful teacher.

Why: "Matilda" teaches kids that it's okay to be special. Along with that, it teaches kids that it is okay if you're not special either, but you can still beat the bad guy. "Matilda" emphasizes the importance of reading and intelligence and how, no matter how strong you are, knowledge is always stronger.

How: Sorry to all you Netflix lovers. You're going to have to dig deep into your own VHS tapes to find this gem.

3. "Hook" (1991)

What it's about: Peter Pan grew up. Peter Pan got a job. Peter Pan got a family. Captain Hook kidnaps Peter's family. Robin Williams plays Peter Pan.

Why: "Hook" teaches us to stay young and don't grow up much like "Peter Pan" does, but it goes farther. Obviously we all have to grow up, but it doesn't mean we have to get old. In "Hook," Peter is forced to return to Neverland in order to rescue his kids. He must return to his childhood and remember the joy he felt as a boy. As Peter grew up, he became miserable. He lost the jovial nature he once had and replaced it with the monotonies of daily life. His life (and our lives) became cluttered. Because of this, he didn't have time to remember the things that made him happy until they were taken away from him.

How: I swear some of the films on this list are on Netflix, but this is not one of those films. Try the film rental location on your campus!

4." The Sandlot " (1993)

What it's about: The new kid in town is taken under the wing of a future baseball star that one summer that changed his life. A coming of age story about a group of boys and their adventures with baseball, a hot lifeguard, and a vicious dog.

Why: I might be biased because this is one of Vanessa's favorite movies of all time, but this movie teaches kids valuable life lessons. The first one can be always be nice to the new kid. Have fun during the summer. And...don't be afraid to do anything. Talk to the hot lifeguard, makes friends with the rowdy group of boys and ask your neighbor for your signed baseball back despite all the rumors that his dog and him are killers.

How: Can we all write a petition to get this classic on Netflix? I'm sure Benny "the Jet" Rodriguez would approve.

5. "Bridge to Terabithia" (2007)

What it's about: Boy meets girl. Boy and girl become friends. Boy and girl make magical land only they can see. Girl...spoiler. (Disclaimer: Tissues. Like, y'all I mean boxes of tissues.)

Why: Okay, hear me out. This film is one of the most (if not the most) heartbreaking films I have ever seen. It is also one of the most important films I have ever seen. As children, we are taught to create, play and imagine. As adults, we are taught to sit behind a desk, drink coffee and get married. This movie reminds us of the joy it is to have friends and create imaginary lands. The power of play is important. As adults, many of us lose our creative sparks. We find ourselves playing less games and writing less poems. We have traded our games and poems for conferences and emails. It's as Leslie said, "nothing crushes us." We forget many of the invincibilities we had as kids, and while some may say this is called being more realistic, it is important we don't lose the things that make us happy. Some day we'll need those things, but we won't remember how to do them and we'll be forced to only drink coffee, write emails and complete other necessary evils of adulthood.

How: Again... not on Netflix. I'm sorry, y'all, I'm working on it. Try your film place on campus. Also, libraries still exist!

6. The Land Before Time (1988)

What it's about: This animated classic tells the story of an orphaned brontosaurus teaming up with other young dinosaurs in order to reunite with their families.

Why: There are not enough words in the English language to describe how perfect not only this movie, but all most all movies in " The Land Before Time" franchise is. The most important lesson you can learn from this flick is friendship and the concept of "we're all in this together." Take that High School Musical.

How: The OG classic is on Netflix! Watch this now, you will not be disappointed.

7. "Holes" (1993)

What it's about: Cursed family has a boy. Boy gets in trouble. Boy goes to camp. Boy digs holes with other boys. Thunk.

Why: Along with the lesson of don't get caught doing something stupid, "Holes" teaches us the importance of remaining true to family. This film has two competing story lines. In one, a story of forbidden love and the birth of an outlaw. In the other, boys in a camp digging holes because "it builds character." Stanley is forced to go to a workers camp and dig holes for a crime he did not commit. To the boys the reason for digging holes is unknown, but it is at the orders of a wealth hungry treasure seeker, played by Sigourney Weaver. Throughout his time at camp, Stanley has to remember his ties to family and folklore. While he believes his family and the curse have never served him well, we see parallels between the competing story lines that prove otherwise. Stanley also creates a family among the other boys in the camp. He learns that they must stick together and fight for the things that are important.

How: Eyyyyyyy... this one is on Netflix! Just try not to "chill" while you watch it.

8. "The Goonies" (1985)

What it's about: In order to save his childhood home, a boy, his brother and a group of his misfit friends set off on an adventure to find a pirate's hidden treasure.

Why: Ah, another movie about friendship...and adventure! These kids showed no fear when searching for One-Eyed Willy's treasure. Children need that in their lives.

How: Although this flick isn't on Netflix...Goonies never say die! Go on an adventure and find this movie.

9. "The Rugrats Movie" (1998)

What it's about: Your favorite diaper wearing rascals have a new addition, but they don't want him. Time to take him back to the "hopsicle!"

Why: Family. Family. Family. Through this film we learn the importance of sticking together and family relationships. This film directly discusses the disconnect among siblings. While Tommy doesn't want his little brother Dil, he learns he needs to stay with his brother. Not only will Dil not survive without him, but he won't survive without Dil.

How: Also on Netflix. Take a trip down memory lane. I promise you'll laugh or smile.

10. "Tuck Everlasting" (2002)

What it's about: A young woman falls in love with a boy who lives in a family of immortals due to a magical stream.

Why: Although the movie and book are a tad different from one another, it's still a work of art. A classic tale of love that will not work because of circumstance. This teaches kids that "happily ever after" is not always the way you expect it to be. The boy that plays Tuck also serves as some very nice eye candy... amirite, ladies!?

How: This movie is too important to not be on Netflix, but, what can you do?