Childhood With A Single Mom

Childhood With A Single Mom

I've learned a lot through my mom along the way.

5
Childhood With A Single Mom
Emily Perron

Plenty of families these days have parents whose love story is nothing short of romantic. Their love burns just as bright 10 years later as it did the day they met, and there is no one else they could possibly see around them. Their children witness what they rightfully deserve in a relationship through the example shown by those who raise them. For some people, however, that simply is not the reality. Left with family photos that are missing a piece of the puzzle, holidays that feel a little less easygoing and even the envy you feel when you see other families that seem picture-perfect.

For me, it was just my mom who stuck around for the long, sometimes very painful and patience-testing, journey of life. She was the glue of the family and raised my sisters and I while juggling jobs, a social life and even her own pain and heartache that came with the circumstances life gave us. However, as a kid, I always saw her as happy. I never saw the nights she would cry herself to sleep, when she would call her best friend when she was feeling down about everything or the panic attacks that came when she just felt overwhelmed with what life had given her. Through it all, she continued to be a rock and a safe place.

I didn't recognize the discomfort on the holidays my dad would join us to celebrate. My childhood innocence protected me from feeling the tension that I'm sure could be cut with a knife. I didn't notice the amount of emotions she had to hold back on Christmas morning, nor was I there to see her release it all after my sisters and I left to go to my dad's for the rest of the day. When we started to notice and found out why it was so hard, we understood. It was a process: we were blind to it, we noticed, we understood, and we recognized just how strong of a woman was raising us.

Next thing we knew, my mom was back in the dating game. At the age of six, we started meeting new potential pieces of our confusing puzzle. It took two years, but we found it. I say "we" because I am lucky enough to have a mom who continually put my sisters and I above her feelings. She could be very fond of someone, but if he didn't seem to fit with our insane dynamic, it was a deal breaker. Growing up, I only saw that part of the process. Now, I realize there is so much more: "Yes, I am divorced with three kids", "My life revolves around soccer games, choir concerts, and work", the list goes on. How difficult that must have been to share that part of her story several times.

When we met our (now) step-dad, I saw nothing but joy on my mom's face as she watched him and I play soccer together. When she introduced him, I heard it plainly at the time but now I see the confidence that was behind that. (I mean, they pulled up on a Harley to see us, what's cooler than that?) At the time, I only saw him playing soccer with me and letting me change the score so that I ultimately won, but I didn't see how hard he must've been trying to fit in with us. Again, it's all a process.

So now, where does that leave me? I've learned so much about what I've already experienced but to what cost? At the end of the day, my mom wanted nothing more than to give us what we deserve- fulfillment, happiness, and an abundance of love. She gave us all that and then some, and she did it on her own. Here's to you, Mom.

Sometimes life throws curve balls, and maybe you have a similar circumstance in life but don't receive the same care or sense of effort from who you need it most. If you have no one to turn to in this scenario, turn to this: "I, your God, have a firm grip on you and I'm not letting you go. I'm telling you, 'Don't panic. I'm right here to help you.'" Isaiah 41:13 (MSG)

You are seen, heard and loved more than you can imagine in all circumstances in life. I pray you recognize that; your proximity to God is NOT determined by your circumstances.

All glory to Him.