Being A Child Of Immigrants Is Both Rewarding And Stressful

Being A Child Of Immigrants Is Both Rewarding And Stressful, And I Wouldn't Have It Any Other Way

You can either be a doctor, lawyer, engineer, or a disgrace.

44

There is nothing, and I can't stress this enough, in this world more demanding than being the child of immigrants who only want what's best for you but is usually what's best for the whole family. Every decision you make is based on whether or not you get to keep the family name for just a little bit longer. And you absolutely cannot let anyone down. Especially your parents.

There is something especially peculiar about having to explain to your American friends why you're not allowed to sleep over, or why your curfew is extremely early. You must maintain a level of respect and responsibility in your family. You are most likely made out to be the golden child your parents love to rave about, or the child that got sent back home once or twice and your parents love to spread your shame around.

Being the only girl of four children, my parents expected me to be a second mother, a straight-A student, a world-class violinist, and a master chef.

From the moment I was born, my life had already been planned out, blueprints and all. I was going to take care of my parents in their old age and juggle a successful job along with a nest of children of my own.

The daunting stress of trying to be perfect all the time definitely can take its toll out the child. Our parents often come from nothing out of their country. They want us to do better than them and be able to say that they provided their child with the best resources in the game of life to win big.

But it often does not happen this way. We feel the stress, the pain, the need to be our own person and not our parents' puppets. Some of us are fortunate enough to have our parents support us, even if it's not on the career path of a doctor, lawyer, or engineer.

Being a child of immigrants makes me proud to say that my parents' hard work was not for nothing. That I utilize the resources they gave me for success and found opportunities they couldn't even possibly imagine at my age.

It has its ins and outs, but being the child of immigrants is something I will forever be grateful for.