"Chick Flicks" That Pass The Bechdel Test

How to have a guilt-free movie session.

402
Edited By Me

Don’t get me wrong, I am by no means a perfect person nor am I a perfect feminist. I admit with guilt that I can often be heard throwing around the phrase “chick flick”, and I indulge in watching movies that are all around degrading. However, there are also a whole plethora of movies that do pass the bechdel test, some of which are my favorites. If you don’t know what the bechdel test is, it’s essentially a test to see how “feminist” a movie is. To pass the bechdel test a movie must adhere to the follow criteria: (1) it has to have at least two [named] women in it, who (2) who talk to each other, about (3) something besides a man. Now the Bechdel test is not a perfect measure as to whether a movie is feminist or not (ie: "Fifty Shades of Grey" passes). In fact, it seems like an incredibly low bar to set. However, at least it’s a starting point. Therefore, if you’re going to waste a day watching “chick flicks,” at least you can watch ones that are a bit up there on the scale.

1. "Mean Girls:" This is my absolute favorite movie, as well as my guilty pleasure. While some of the other movies on this list just barely pass the test, citing maybe one brief conversation where the characters are not talking about a male, "Mean Girls" passes the Bechdel test in many instances.
  2. M"e Before You:" While this movie is more centered around a love story, there are instances where female characters discuss things other than the man of the story. The main character and her mother talk about money, and jobs, and their lives overall.
  3. "How To Be Single:" Starring Dakota Johnson and Rebel Wilson, you know it’s bound to be entertaining. How to be single stars four female characters, and while there are a few male characters they are not the main focus of the movie. The women talk to each other a lot about all different things, and despite the title of the movie, it’s not just about men.
  4. "Sisters:" Another funny movie - this time starring Amy Poehler and Tina Fey. This movie is a feel good one, about two sisters and their childhood home. The sisters talk a lot about the house, their family, their lives, and the movie passes the test with flying colors.

These are just a few suggestions as to movies you can watch relatively guilt-free. There are many others, but also many that don’t pass the test. While you can watch whatever you want, it can be nice to know that the movie you’re watching is at least of some feminist nature.