11 Movies To Catch At Chicago's Millennium Park This Summer

What other way to end a perfect day than with a movie in Millennium Park?

7
City of Chicago

Chicago has everything to offer and then some. There are a million things to do in the city. Fireworks at Navy Pier. Boating on Lake Michigan. You can go to the beach, hit the Magnificent Mile, see the skyscrapers, or go to Lollapalooza and the Taste of Chicago. I love being home in the summer because Chicago gives you nothing to complain about — there is always a party going on in the city, at every time of every night. But the night life, shopping and festivals are not the only thing to be excited about. There are also movies in the park.

Millenium Park in Chicago is home to some of the greatest sculptures, as well as a large pavilion that can fit 11,000 people, when you include seating as well as the lawn beyond. And every summer people come with family, friends, significant others and out of town visitors to see a movie in the park. The movie starts a little after dusk, when the sun has begun to set and the projection is clear. One movie a week, from the end of June until the end of August, everyone can come out and enjoy a film.

The movie line-up was recently released. To my fellow Chicagoans, enjoy the movies and I’ll see you there!

June 21: "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" (1986, rated PG-13)

June 28: "Soul Food" (1997, rated R)

July 5: "A League of Their Own" (1992, rated PG)

July 12: "Thelma & Louise" (1991, rated R)

July 19: "Full Moon" Double Feature: "Moonstruck" (1988, rated PG), "Silence of the Lambs" (1991, rated R)

July 26: Kartemquin Films 50th Anniversary Celebration (celebrating the documentary filmmaker)

Aug. 2: "West Side Story" (1961, unrated)

Aug. 9: "Grease" (1978, rated PG-13)

Aug. 16: "Finding Nemo" (2003, rated G)

Aug. 23: "Purple Rain" (1984, rated R)

Aug. 30: audience choice, voting details yet to be announced