Why You Need to Cherish Your Senior Year of High School

Through the heartbreaks, breakouts, and best years of your life

199

It's September. Nine months more. Nine months more till all our lives change as friends. It will finally be time for us to walk across that gym floor where we had played so many games of "mat ball" and dodge ball in the years before. But this time will be different; it will be time for us to recieve our diplomas.

Fifteen years ago was my first day of preschool and when I found out my favorite pastime was playing with Play-Doh. It is also where I met my best friend to this day, who is now like brother to me. In these halls I've made some of my best friends and some of my worst enemies. Through every heartbreak, from a guy who really didn't mean anything to me at all to when I was at my lowest points junior year and my friends were there for me.

During those everlasting high school years, you kind of take for granted your friendships, even if you don't necessarily mean to. You think that they will always be around to bring you pumpkin iced coffee in the morning when you're running late or to lend you a few bucks to get that lunch special from the cafeteria that looks so good. Those same friends are always the ones that you share clothes and your new song choices with. We don't realize that in the next nine months we will be finding out who our perfect stranger of a roommate will be at college, or who we will walk to classes with. There are so many inside jokes between you and your friends that no one will find quite as funny as you guys.

You will meet new friends of course, but none of them will know everything about you; what your favorite food is, the name of the boy who broke your heart, the guy's name you've never been able to confess your feelings to, what makes you cry, how you always give at least two dollars to the homeless man by your house, or how you love Auntie Annes pretzels and hot chocolate more than life itself. Those friendships that you've had for so many years that happened so easily as young children aren't there. Now, you will have to build a whole new bond with someone new.

Even as you're leaving your little hometown, rest assured that you will have at least two friends that stay at home to keep you updated with all the underclassmen that you befriended over those few high school years. No one will ever have as much hometown pride for little ole Delaware as you guys did. Showing up to every football game no matter what was going on.

No matter how far away you go, you know you will always share a bond with the people who know maybe a little too much about you. You will always laugh about that one guy you're absolutely humiliated to say you liked or even dated. Getting over 200 likes on an Instagram picture of you and your friends will always be a bigger accomplishment then getting a good grade in British Literature. It's those friends who were there with you every day before you could even drive and had to ask your parents for rides to the Cecil County Fair. Those are the real friends that were there even if it was a little inconvenient at times. The norm was talking through most math classes not having a clue what is actually going on in class, but you had to stay updated on who was texting who. The friends who ate just as much as you and did not judge you for it. Just like the times you were crying your eyes out because you felt your world was ending and the only thing left to complete you was that pint of Ben & Jerry's ice cream and the Notebook.

For the next nine months, you must do something. Do something new. Do something you used to do. Be with the friends that really matter and make that bond even stronger. Because after the nine months are over, you will all be experiencing a new part of life and no one knows where that could ever take you.