Checking Norman Bates Into PSYCH 101

Checking Norman Bates Into PSYCH 101

Motherly love can be deadly.

30
Checking Norman Bates Into PSYCH 101
Gstatic.com

When we think of psychology we think of the human mind. The mind can be a very fascinating place, but it can also be very intimidating...and even deadly. When we discuss various conditions that some people have dealing with their minds, we often discuss common ones such as OCD or schizophrenia. But there is one we often only touch on briefly: Split Personality Disorder. And who else better to study for this then perhaps the most famous victim of this condition, Norman Bates? I mean, how bad could it be? We all love our moms dearly…

A&E's "Bates Motel" is a drama-filled rollercoaster ride of suspense. It stars mother and son Norma and Norman (yes, you read that right) Bates and their daily lives as they run a small motel. But life is not easy for either of them, as corruption, murder and lying seem to follow them everywhere. Norman’s character could be studied specifically, as his actions are a direct reflection of how much of a toll these things can take on the human brain. We see cases like this all the time, such as traumatic events and PTSD-type scenarios. But nothing like the events Norman has witnessed/participated in. Being as they all practically involve his mother, whom he has a very close relationship with, it only makes the study the more interesting. We all love our mothers, but we don’t share beds with them at age 18. Their uncomfortably close relationship could be studied as well, as it could give clues as to why some people call their moms almost weekly or how some only call on Mother’s Day. His love for her is practically his driving force, but it seems to do more damage to him than anything. The emotional toll these events take on Norman can be studied and analyzed and compared to real life cases with similar situations. But, as I said earlier, Norman has Split Personality Disorder, which is far more fascinating…

As you may have guessed, Norman’s second personality is his mother Norma. However, he can not recall anytime when he has “become” her, as he only remembers blacking out. He seems to become her only when he is highly aggravated or afraid. He also “sees” her in various situations where she gives him advice. Unfortunately, however, this advice is not usually good at all. Norman’s disorder could be studied as to exactly how and why the condition formed. Was there one single event that began it, or is it because she is simply the person he sends the most time with? Or is it simply because he sees her as stronger and wiser than he is? All of these questions could be analyzed in the classroom.

While most courses would focus on the events of "Psycho" (for which "Bates Motel" is a prequel), I believe "Bates Motel" has much more material that a professor could pull from and analyze. And, being as the show is still running, they would not run out of material. I believe Norman’s character should be analyzed in psychology courses and if you decide to check the show out yourself, I hope you do too!