New Moms Need A Supportive Community, Their Mental Health Depends On It

Without A Strong Support System, New Moms May Find Their Mental Health Struggling — Even The Famous Ones

Every new mom needs all the love and support they can get.

86

By now, everyone has seen and heard Meghan Markle's heartbreaking revelation of her lack of support that she experienced during her pregnancy, but even before Meghan and Prince Harry announced that they were expecting a baby, Meghan faced serious scrutiny from every angle during the dating/engagement phase alone.

Journalists would point out that she was a divorcee marrying a prince and to be a "qualified wife," she wasn't allowed to have any prior marriages. People would talk about her lack of father figure as she was raised by a single mother. People said she was in it for the title and the money — that she didn't care about Harry or his well-being. People also made it a point to note the color of her skin — she is part African-American and there has never been anyone of African descent in the Royal Family. From having President Donal Trump say she is a nasty woman (which caused an uproar and led to people boycotting his arrival in Great Britain) to having people judge her and Harry's decision to not have their child in St. Mary's Lindo Wing or at their house, Meghan has been put through the ringer.

It can't be easy to be a new mom, in the spotlight, and keep your mental health strong.

Meghan came in breaking barriers and was on the ground running, trying to prove that she belonged with Harry and they were a good fit, but she didn't have to prove anything. Seeing a black woman marry a prince and have her own successful career was enough for me — she became a role model for so many young girls and new moms. She is trying to help our lives improve, we have got to have her back, as well.

Pregnancy is hard for any woman, especially women who are younger and have children. They face criticism every day because they're "too young" to have kids or "they're throwing their life away" too soon, but motherhood is the only job some women want. It's the only job that matters to most women, especially if they are in the spotlight like Meghan is.

Meghan's eyes broke my heart, alongside the rest of the world, and before long, she was wrapped in so much virtual love from everybody who saw that video. She was given and shown the love she should've been receiving this whole time. Kudos to the interviewer, Tom Bradby, for asking how she was doing and allowing her time to reflect and call out those who have failed her as a friend.

A good mother is only as strong as her support system. It's the rest of our jobs to keep asking how they're doing and how we can help.