Charged with a Crime?

Getting arrested is only the first part of your legal journey. You still have to go to court and face the judge. Here are some of the things that you need to prepare for before your day in court.

Understand the Charges

Make sure that you completely understand the charges against you. Contact your lawyer so that they can explain the situation. You won’t be able to mount a very effective defense if you’re unclear about the charges for your alleged crimes. If you have access to a computer, consider doing some research. This will give you a place to start in gaining some more knowledge about your case. Own up to any mistakes that you made in the hopes that the charges may be reduced.

Dress Appropriately

Take going to court seriously. You want to make a good impression on the judge. Dress as though you were going to church. Taking the time and effort to make yourself presentable may give you a little bit of leverage in your case. Act in an appropriate manner. This means that you need to be polite and respectful both inside and outside the courtroom. Take a deep breathe if you feel yourself becoming overly emotional. Your image may be the only thing that you can control.

Confer with Your Lawyer

Discuss with your lawyer the best course of strategy. Decide on who would make an appropriate witness for your case. You may be able to use character witnesses in order to lessen the severity of the charges. Play up your ties to the community. Make sure that the judge understands that you aren’t going anywhere before your trial. Use what you can to your advantage. If you have a family, let the judge know how much of a hardship it will be with you in jail.

Be Financially Prepared

Depending on the severity of your case, you may be able to get bond. Come prepared to be able to post this right away. Realize that the amount of bail set may be more than you can afford. Contact a bail bond agent prior to going to court. This can be your backup plan in case the amount is too high. There’s no reason that you have to sit in jail until your trial. Come prepared so that you can be home with your family and help with your case.

The best course of action before going to court is to be prepared. Use these tips so that you can make the most of the situation.