It's okay to change your major

There's No Shame In Being Unsure Of Your Major In College

You don't always have the same aspirations that you did when you were 17, and that's okay.

EmmaS14
EmmaS14
364

College is a crazy time for many of us. It's a time for us to really figure out who we are. This almost sounds so simple, but to actually try to do it is a whole other story. Now, try to add the pressure of figuring out what we want to do for the next thirty to forty years of our lives, and the situation becomes that much more difficult. Most of us are making all of our plans based off of a decision we made when we were 16 or 17. While that may be okay for a lot of people, it's also okay if you don't feel the same about your future now as you did then.

I mean, let's face it: teenagers don't really tend to make the most amazing decisions — why are we expected to make a life-changing one and stick to it the rest of our lives?

It's time to end the stigma that changing your major is such a terrible choice. I came into college with that perspective — it seemed like I was always told that it was practically the worst thing you could possibly do. I would hear conversations between parents about someone away at school had wasted so much money on classes they didn't even need because they changed their major. Conversations like that made me feel like I had no choice but to stay with the major that I chose before even taking any classes in that subject.

You have to remember that it is your future — even if you don't know what it entails yet. You are the creator of your own story. The best part about college is that you get the choice to write it however you want. So, what if you don't know what your major is going to be yet? That's okay! Take a deep breath, and remember that right now time is on your side. You've got four years to figure it all out, so do just that.

Take some general education classes. Go out and do things that make you happy. Find what sets your soul on fire, and once you do, never stop chasing it. College isn't all about what grades you get or what classes you take, it's about finding yourself, realizing your hopes and dreams, and going after them. Find your passion, because we are far too young to be stuck doing something we hate for the rest of our lives.

If you feel like you need to, change your major — change it as many times as needed! Remember this: it's your happiness, not theirs. In the end, it may be a couple of extra classes or even an extra semester, but what are six months in comparison to a lifetime of wishing you would've made a different choice during those short four years? Life's way too short to be wasting the time of things that don't make you happy. It's your time. Go out there, live for you, find your passion, and perhaps change the world while you're at it.