Changing My Major Saved My College Experience

Your future is in your hands.

201

When I arrived at college in August, I was a Liberal Studies major with a concentration in Elementary Education.

I remember saying that so often it felt like it was ingrained in my memory forever, but now it seems so distant and weird. When I chose the major almost 2 years ago, I was so excited about the prospect of becoming a teacher, but after arriving on campus and beginning my education classes, I knew something was off.

I have loved working with children since I was 11 years old volunteering at my church’s Vacation Bible School. It came naturally to me, and I enjoyed spending time with them and making a difference in a child’s life. When I began thinking about potential majors, everyone I talked to told me that I would be a great teacher. After hearing it over and over again for years, I decided to go for it. I mean, I love children, I like school, how bad could it be?

When I committed to coming to Longwood back in the spring, I began researching the classes I would take to become a teacher. I was excited; the classes all looked interesting and even though it would be a heavy course load, I figured I could handle it. I was registered for all my classes, including one education class, that May, and I was thrilled.

I got to college and began my classes in what felt like no time at all. Originally, I could not wait to start, but once I did I was no longer excited. It had nothing to do with the fact that it was college and it was hard, I was in a slump. I did not enjoy the education class at all, or even the general education classes.

I thought to myself, I can’t keep doing this for the next 4 years. So, after a month of classes and realizing education was not for me, I decided to change majors.

I did hours of research, talked to my advisor, and even consulted my parents before deciding on what my new major would be. Ultimately, I ended up with Communication Studies with a Digital Media concentration with the goal to end up with a career as a journalist.

Now how did I decide on that? It was not too hard for me. I have loved to write ever since I was a little girl, and I always considered being a journalist but pushed it off for something else. After reading through the course descriptions and learning the paths I could go down, I knew it was the major for me.

Changing my major saved me and my college experience.

During the first month of college, I was in a major slump. I was generally happy when people asked, but deep down I was a wreck. I was attending a school where I knew no one and I was 3 hours away from my family and friends. I was also in a major that wasn’t making me happy. I considered transferring numerous times, thinking that maybe if I were at a different school I’d be happier. I researched other colleges that I could apply to with a great elementary education program, but deep down I didn’t feel right about it.

I quickly realized that it wasn’t the school that I had a problem with. Sure, there were things I didn’t always like and I was far away from home, but those things I could get over. I realized I wasn’t happy because I was at a roadblock.

I felt like I was going nowhere with my major and did not want a career as a teacher. That was something that I could not get over. We were paying so much money and I was spending so much time on this, I knew I needed to change and be happy.

As soon as I changed my major, I felt so much more at ease. When people would ask me what my major was I would tell them Comm and it just felt right. I was genuinely happy and excited for the classes I was going to take and my future. I met with my new advisor shortly thereafter, and we spent a lot of time discussing the course load and careers and I left in tears.

But, they weren’t sad tears. Instead, they were happy tears. I no longer felt stuck, I felt relieved and content. I was a Comm major and I was going to graduate and become a journalist. For the first time in a month I was truly happy, and I did not want to transfer anymore. Instead, I wanted to get started on my classes as soon as possible!

If you're ever in a slump or at a roadblock, just know that it does get better! You are not stuck, your future is in your hands!