Actually, Changing Your Major After Sophomore Year Is OK

The last thing you want to do is dread going to work and feeling stuck in life.

728

As I approach the fall semester of my Junior year of college, I decided that what I was doing really isn't what I want to for the rest of my life. I was in a major where I was studying design, photography, and print. I loved my professors and enjoyed being creative, but as the semesters went on my projects seemed more like work and less enjoyable. I just was trying to finish them as quick as I could, not really allowing much time to be creative and put my all into them. I even gave up halfway through a coding project because I hated it so much.

When summer came along I was given an internship for my major. I was not used to working 40 hours a week, let alone sitting at a computer for 7 hours a day. There were slow times, and times where I was asking questions about every little thing. I realized that if this is what my life will be like every day, I didn't want to do it. I hate sitting in an office chair, staring at a screen for 7 consecutive hours.

I want to have a career that is always changing, I will be up and doing things, and I can also be creative. I want to have fun at work and be able to work with the public.

So, I decided to become a Journalism major. Before going into college, I thought about majoring in Journalism but was more pushed towards my design major. After a year on campus and many transfer credits, I decided that it was not the road I wanted to take and now was the time to change. Even though I will be making less money in my new field, I'd much rather be doing something that I enjoy and does not restrict me from still being creative and working with others.

My old major incorporated photography and I very much enjoyed my photography class. I will always love photography and will hopefully minoring in such so I can be the "total package" in the journalism world. I found my love for journalism by writing for the school newspaper in high school, taking creative writing classes, and especially being able to write for The Odyssey.

Being able to express myself in words and GIFs every week is what I now love to do. Even if I'm at a block and my article is not that great that week, I still enjoy putting it all together. Being a part of a group of writers on campus is such a great opportunity. You get to read others work, get to know people, and even write with your best friends (three of mine are also writers and introduced me to Odyssey). So thank you to the Odyssey team at BGSU. Thank you for allowing me to write all the BG and sorority articles I please, and even make a whole article of cat GIFs because I didn't know what else to do that week.

As for my internship, I am getting more comfortable with my projects, but the print world is so large that I would never be guaranteed a design job in the future. The last thing I want to be doing is customer service or hitting buttons on a printer all day.

I am very much looking forward to taking classes and learning more about my new field, as well as meeting new people in my classes and other writing clubs on campus. Even though I was going to graduate in three and a half years, staying another semester, taking summer classes, and taking three journalism classes in one semester will be worth it. Hopefully this new adventure will lead me somewhere warm, and possibly at Buzzfeed or a fashion magazine. So "thank you" VCT for the fun times, and "hello" to Journalism and writing more great articles.

If you are looking to change your major, no matter what year, do it. If you feel uncertain about what you are doing, talk to a career advisor. The last thing you want to do is dread going to work and feeling stuck in life. If you are changing your major after sophomore year and are scared to possibly be a "super senior" in the future, work hard and take extra classes. I have faith that you can finish on top and with all your friends in four years. Do what makes you happy, not what makes the most money or what someone is telling you to do.