I Had to Change My Major, and I'm Not Ashamed

And you should not be either.

966

Lots of people go into college with a sure idea of exactly what the want to do and what they want to be, and they accomplish al of their dreams flawlessly. On the other hand, some people go into college, equally as sure of what they want to do, and they have to figure some things out as they go along. I fit into the second category.

I was so sure I was going to be a veterinarian. The moment I started thinking about what I wanted to be when I grew up, I was certain that was it. I dedicated all of my classes in high school towards getting there, I shadowed a vet, and I was still hooked. I was hooked all the way until my first college semester.

My very first college class was chemistry, and afterwards my dream was never the same. You see, I was so set on becoming a vet because I have always, always loved animals, more than most people even. Unfortunately, most people go into the field of veterinary medicine because they are good at math and science, and not just because they love the animals.

I quickly learned, throughout that chem class, that I was not meant to be a vet. It was hard, but it was what was right for me. I probably could have done it, but it would have meant eight years of crying before tests and pulling all nighters. That sounds miserable to me. Yes, I would have accomplished a childhood dream, but I would also be wildly unhappy.

Not everyone is meant to be what they think they are meant to be. Two years since that chemistry class ended, I am four semesters into an elementary education degree and I have gotten a 4.0 GPA in three of those four semesters.

Different people are good at different things, find classes and subjects that you are interested and enjoy. It is worth it, even if it takes you a little while to find those classes. It is okay to change your mind, I promise.