Changing your life with just one word.

Let me let you in on a seldom recognized truth: Change is possible, but focus is required.

You don't need a gym membership or more will power, a new planner or new job to make the changes you desire this year as much as you need clarity and sustained focus over time.

Our resolutions seldom work because they are based on the type of person we're tired of being rather than who we want to become. Plus, resolutions can be "broken," leaving no room for the process of growth. What if our hopes for ourselves centered instead on who we want to become, and the transformation process?

The question is, how? Pick one word that replaces broken promises with a vision for real change. A lot of times we always go to quotes for empowerment but I have realized that just one word can be just as powerful. When you choose a single word, you have a clarity and focus. You are moving toward the future rather than swearing off the past.

Here's a list of my favorite one word inspirations. What will your word be?

Hope. 

To hope for something is to desire that thing, and to believe, rightly or wrongly, that the probability of it happening, though less than one, is greater than nought. If the probability of it happening is one or very close to one, it is not a hope but an expectation; if it is nought it is a fantasy; and if it is very close to nought it is a wish. The borderline between a hope and a wish is moot, and more a question of emphasis than anything else.

Courage. 

Courage is the secret sauce that allows you to act despite your fears. Courage gives you the ability to put aside your fear of failure and take the first steps. Courage helps you overcome the fear of rejection and engage in your own life. Courage allows you to attempt things that you have not tried before, despite your fear of looking foolish.

Determined. 

For me, having determination keeps me in control and motivated to continue along the path of achieving my long term goal in life. Without that, I would not be able to push through and keep moving forward when times start to get tough. It's important to know what gives you that determination to keep going, and remember that answer when you are faced with adversity or a challenging situation.

Strength. 

Everyone possesses mental strength to some degree. But the stronger you are, the more likely you are to achieve bigger and better goals. Whether your ambition is to run a marathon, or your goal is to double your revenue, you'll likely experience self-doubt at one time or another. Questioning your goal—and your ability to achieve it—is a normal part of the attainment process. But when you're mentally strong, you'll be able to reframe your negative self talk so you can continue working toward your goal with increased confidence.

Clarity. 

As we evolve and discover ourselves more and more, everything becomes more clear.

Our wants, needs, and desires show themselves to us more. We see them more clearly. Clarity becomes more of our friend and less scary.

Confidence. 

The more confident you become, the more you'll be able to calm the voice inside you that says, "I can't do it." You'll be able to unhook from your thoughts and take action in line with your values.

Purpose. 

When recovering from anything, routine creates purpose. And purpose creates meaning. And the rhythm that comes with purpose sets into motion physical, emotional and spiritual awakenings that significantly aid well-being.

Vivacious. 

If you don't use it, you'll lose it. Aim to be able to describe your life as full and zestful by doing things you enjoy and can feel fulfilled about.

Thankful. 

Gratitude promotes optimism and helps us to develop a more positive outlook. It lets us pause for a moment to reflect on something we have in our life right now instead of always striving for more … the next goal, the new dress, the new toy, the new car, or the house renovation …

Gratitude is simply cultivating a genuine appreciation for what we already have.

Loved. 

It is more important to act with the intention of being generous than it is to expend significant resources.

In other words, as echoed in Mother Teresa's famous quote, it is more important to do small things with great love than to do great things with little love.