To Change Or Not To Change

To Change Or Not To Change

Sometimes, change is hard to accept
184

Do some people change? Do some never change?

It’s funny how both phrases are tossed around so often. As soon as someone does something out of character or very much in character, people are so quick to take notice and comment.

If I think about it in terms of myself, I think I’ve changed in a lot of ways over the years. But, I think I’ve kept a lot about me the same too. I think it’s easy to feel a little lost during your young adult years, so questions of whether or not people change can be difficult to answer. While I’m constantly being exposed to new situations or new people, I often revert back to ways of thinking or behaving that I’ve grown up doing. And when those approaches don’t work or don’t go as expected, I usually try to change my actions. I think changes are sometimes needed as life continues to throw different shots at you.

The other day, I was having a conversation with one of my closest friends. I’ve known her for years. It was so interesting to see in what ways we have both changed and both stayed the same. During this conversation, it was apparent that our 2nd grade-selves wouldn’t have faced the same issues we were currently facing. It’s easy to say that things and our environment change too. But we change in response. As time goes on, I think it’s natural for people to change a little; it’s healthy to continue to strive to be the person you want to be even if that means changing things. I think acknowledging that we change, why we change, and how we change helps us grow.

On the flip side, there are certain things about myself I never want to change, things I don’t think I need to. For example, I have never thought about changing the core group of people around me. I think for a long time, especially when I was younger, I took the people I cared about for granted many times, since they were always there. But, I think as I’ve gotten older and distance has played a factor, I’ve found that this core group of people is very precious to me because they help make me who I am.

I strongly believe that you are who you surround yourself with, so I truly value those around me and how they shape or influence me.

Additionally, I never want to change or forget the values my parents have taught me, especially when it comes to how I should treat others.

Ultimately, different aspects of life may have various effects on who I am as a person. But I think changing who I am and staying the same in many aspects is the only explanation I have for whether or not people change. I’d say that people change but stay true to who they are if it’s important to them. I don’t think people change unless the change seems valuable to them.