As a writer, I’ve encountered some hardships and slightly annoying situations that are minuscule, but end up making a bigger impact than they should on my writing experience.
1. When spell check doesn’t even know what you’re trying to write or spell.
We’ve all been there, typing on a computer and the program doesn’t even know how to fix what we’ve done wrong. This point kind of leads into my next one, because you might just give up and decide to use a different word. Maybe you don’t give u, stick to your word usage goals, and phone a friend, either verbally in the room, or calling them up to ask how a word is spelled.
2. Wanting to use a word in a handwritten essay, but not knowing how to spell it, so you decide to go with a different word.
It's most likely excessive use of a "fancy" word that you would never say in real life, so it's probably for the best.
3. When you’re looking for a certain word that you can’t seem to pull from your brain, but you know that you have it somewhere in the archives.
4. Writer's block
This is a no-brainer, actually, because you feel like you have no brain to think with.
5. When Microsoft word tells you that your name is spelled wrong
Microsoft is so smart, yet somehow also a bit of a know-it-all, when in reality it doesn't know *everything* (I’ll personally cue the koala for Kozal flashbacks).
6. Despite loose-leaf paper having lines, not being able to write straight due to unknown forces.
Left-handedness might have something to do with it, but I have never been able to write along the lines. Half the time it looks like cursive mixed with printing combined into somewhat of an italics font that I’ve created over the years. I’m often too lazy to pick up my pen or pencil except between words, so that’s why the cursive often becomes real.
All of these problems are just some that I’ve experienced over the years. I know the problems won’t ever go away -- not all of them at least. For now, I just make the best of the experience, in spite of the challenges that I face throughout the writing process.
Do you face any similar (or very different) challenges when writing? Let me know in the comments!