Celebrity Twitter Feuds: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly

When you're famous and on Twitter, things go down.

105

Ever since Twitter came along, we peasants have been blessed with the innermost day-to-day thoughts of the rich and famous. However, getting their own voice (with a 140 character limit) can be problematic for celebrities constantly under the public eye. Twitter is a great way to reach an audience and a simple tweet from a celebrity with millions of followers can be very impactful, for better or for worse. On Twitter, we get to witness the good, the bad and the ugly strait from the iPhone 6 keyboards of our favorite stars including thought-provoking words of wisdom like this one from Kanye West.

The Good

Most celebrities aren't shy about using their star power to help others. A simple tweet can change someone's life

Mindy Kaling, an accomplished actor, writer, producer and director, took to Twitter after being asked if she gets "overwhelmed by acting & writing" simply because she is a woman. Kaling called attention to a huge problem in Hollywood: giving men more credit for their work than women and thinking women can't handle the pressure of multiple roles on and off camera.

Love her or hate her, this wildly retweeted tweet by Kim Kardashian helped to make a young girl's dream come true, and there's nothing to hate about that.

Uhh, is Wendy's considered a celebrity? Either way, this tweet from 2011 got a huge number of retweets — and for a great cause. This is the perfect example of a company truly using it's social media power to benefit a good cause (while also gaining some promotion of their own).

The Bad

Celebrities can also be dumb. Hey, they really are just like us! When they take those less than stellar thoughts to Twitter, at least someone gets a laugh out of it.

Lindsay Lohan suggests if you find yourself in the wake of hurricane Sandy(!), your best bet is to send it positive vibes. Never mind finding shelter! Get out the sage and palm leaves and think about puppies; you'll be fine.

Shia LaBeouf made his message pretty clear when he tweeted "I AM NOT FAMOUS ANYMORE" in all caps every day for a week. However, as the ancient Romans said, just because you tweet it doesn't make it true.

Cher had good intentions here, but she clearly does not know the default settings of Twitter (a light blue background with a white egg shape). It's OK, Cher! My grandma doesn't fully understand Twitter either.

My favorite celebrity tweet came from the almighty Martha Stewart. She accidentally called the slightly less almighty Michael Cera "Michael Vera." Michael Cera was said to be honored to be called Michael Vera or really anything at all by Martha Stewart. He takes what he can get.

The Ugly

Lastly, there are the feuds. Celebrities going head to head after some unkind words toward each other. No one likes to be in a feud...but everyone loves to watch them!

Some of Amanda Bynes' hobbies include wearing odd wigs and calling other celebrities ugly. After a successful childhood acting career, Bynes has become victim to the all too familiar trend of downhill child stars (though she might also be suffering from a mental illness). She has continuously called out other celebrities on Twitter including Rihanna. Who knows what she's really thinking. I'd like to think she's sitting on a golden toilet in her multimillion dollar mansion wearing a purple wig and laughing uncontrollably.

The most recent feud to grace our Twitter feeds was between Taylor Swift and Nicki Minaj. Luckily, this feud had a happy ending. It seemed to be all a misunderstanding and everyone apologized at the end. If only all Twitter fights ended like that. Just kidding! That wouldn't be any fun.

Twitter holds a special place on our phone screens, and what kind of world would we even live in if we didn't have to celebrities to add color to our dull, dull lives? The two combined have created something of a phenomenon — if you can refer to Martha Stewart calling Michael Cera "Michael Vera" a phenomenon, which I easily can.