The Juiciest Celebrity Feuds Of The Past 100 Years

Who has bad blood worse than Katy and Taylor?

297
YouTube

I think I speak for everyone here when I say celebrity feuds and rivalries are often more exciting and interesting than the actual movies/tv shows/songs that these celebrities are putting out. We could all probably list at least of handful of popular celebrity feuds that we have witnessed over social media or by watching interviews - and we eat this stuff up! Celebrity feuds have been going on for as long as there have been celebrities. So, I thought it would be interesting to look back at 100 years of celebrity feuds that rocked the city of Angels, Los Angeles.

1910s - Olivia de Havilland and Joan Fontaine

Though the two sisters were just children in the 1910s, this is when many believe that their feud truly started. Biographers claim that Olivia resented her younger sister, Joan, who was only younger by one year, from the second she was born. With both being incredibly competitive, the two fought all throughout their childhood and it is believed that their mother favored Olivia over Joan, only aiding to the bitterness. Then, when they both entered into the film industry, their feud was put onto an entirely new ground. Carry on through years of battling over roles and directors, and then in the 40s when they were both nominated for an Oscar and Joan won. Hollywood continuously pitted the sisters against each other and I believe they were still not on speaking terms when Joan died in 2013. Olivia, though, is still living.

1920s - Coco Chanel and Elsa Schiaparelli

Fashion designers Coco Chanel and Elsa Schiaparelli had a pretty big feud in the 1920s and 1930s. I'm sure you can pretty much imagine why they fought. When Chanel was first starting, her designers were seen not as cool but Schiaparelli's were seen as bold and creative. Then, in the 30s flip that around as Schiaparelli began dwindling (and eventually closing in the 50s) as Chanel began to rise.

1930s - Joan Crawford and Bette Davis

The feud of Joan Crawford and Bette Davis dates back to 1935 when silver-screen actress Joan Crawford started becoming involved with Franchot Tone, who fellow actress Bette Davis had a crush on (though, felt she couldn't compare to Crawford). Later on, Joan Crawford even went on to marry Franchot Tone, deepening the feud as the women began a war over roles and prestige in Hollywood; they were constantly trying to outdo the other. Things got really petty in 1962 when Davis got nominated for an Academy Award and Crawford did not. So, Crawford called every other nominee and offered them to accept the award for them if they could not make it. Lucky for Crawford and unlucky for Davis, Joan got to accept the award for Anne Bancroft who could not make the show. When Davis was later asked about John Crawford's death, she said, "You should never say bad things about the dead, you should only say good. Joan Crawford is dead. Good!" Talk about PETTY.

1940s - Orson Welles and William Randolph Hearst

The 1941 film, Citizen Kane is what brought all the wrath of this bitter celebrity feud. William Randolph Hearst felt that the film, inspired by the newspaper mogul's life, made fun of his longtime mistress, Marion Davies. Hearst attempted to purchase every print of the film and burn it. He also refused to run any advertisements for the film in his newspapers and threatened blackmail and FBI investigations if the film was screened. For nearly a quarter-century, Hearst's efforts were a success until finally Welles finally got the movie to receive critical and public acclaim.

1950s - Debbie Reynolds and Elizabeth Taylor

This feud was centered around what most catfights are... a man. After the death of her third husband, Elizabeth Taylor went on to become a smitten kitten with a man named Eddie Fisher. Seems innocent and harmless, right? WRONG. There was one problem, Eddie was a married man. In fact, he was married to one of Elizabeth Taylor's good friends - Debbie Reynolds. Fisher divorced Reynolds in 1959 to go be with Taylor, leaving her with their two children: Carrie and Todd. The two later made up in 1966.

1960s - Marilyn Monroe and Elizabeth Taylor

Debbie Reynolds isn't the only one to have had a certain bit of rage when it came to Elizabeth Taylor. In the 1960s, actress Marilyn Monroe was incredibly jealous of the attention that Elizabeth Taylor was getting. Monroe even went as far to do a nude photoshoot in order to become more popular than Taylor. Monroe even wanted a guarantee from the photographer that her photos would be on the cover of magazines and Taylor would not even be in the issue. Though, we all know how this feud ends with Monroe's unfortunate death in 1962.

1970s - Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier

Boxers Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier faced off in a three-fight trilogy that initially started in 1971 at Madison Square Garden. Ali was a self-identified civil rights hero and newly converted Muslim, and he said that Frazier "had no cause" for fighting, was just "in the game for the money alone." Ali frequently referred to Frazier as "gorilla" during their fights and after he won, he called himself "The Greatest." Revealed in Joe Frazier's autobiography, it is said he still holds a grudge against Ali.

1980s - Michael Jackson and Prince

This all started when the two singers rivaled each other in the 1982 top charts with Michael Jackson's album, Thriller, and Prince's album, 1999, going head-to-head. From that point on, the two openly fought for domination of the charts against each other. Though, after hearing about Michael Jackson's death, Prince locked himself in his bedroom for days which made many believe that deep down under the lays of all that bitterness, there was a secret respect for one another.

1990s - Prince Charles and Princess Diana of Wales

A firey romance turned cold is the story of Prince Charles and Princess Diana. With many infidelity rumors swirling around their marriage, regarding him and Camilla Parker-Bowles as well as her and James Gilbey, it shouldn't have been a shock their rocky marriage was heading for divorce in 1996. The following year, Princess Diana died in a car accident and Prince Charles went on to marry Camilla Parker-Bowles in 2005, only putting a stronger belief of his infidelities while married to Diana.

2000s - Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian

Kardashian and Hilton were good "friends" in the 2000's (or more, Kim was Hilton's personal maid/caretaker/etc.) Though Paris put Kim through a pretty toxic friendship, she did plant the seed for Kim Kardashian's fame (which Hilton probably regrets but... karma). In 2007 was when it all began. Both Kim and the rest of the world decided they no longer need Paris. Paris's show, "The Simple Life," was canceled as Kim's show, "Keeping Up with the Kardashians" premiered. From there, the fuel was ignited and Hilton resorted to a bunch of name calling and hate; not that Kim cared. Now, the feud seems to be over but the two don't seem to be any kind of besties.

2010s - Katy Perry and Taylor Swift

Grab some popcorn because this one GETS GOOD. There have not been quite as many celebrity feuds as brutal and petty as this one - and boy am I glad I get to witness it live over the years. We first really got light of this feud when Swift released her 1989 album - as well as the song "Bad Blood." When asked who it was about, Swift said it was about an unnamed pop star who she would talk to at award shows, but never really understood where they stood friendship wise. But them, this popstar (who she left unnamed) did something that Taylor then made it click in her head that they were "straight up enemies." After this, a bunch of fans concluded that Swift was indeed talking about Katy Perry. There is also the fact that Selena, who plays the villain in the Bad Blood music video, has her hair styled in a way that is VERY similar to one of Katy's popular styles.

So, what is it that Katy Perry did that made her and Swift "straight up enemies" you ask? Well, there are a couple of theories. Theory number one is that this whole fight is over a boy - John Mayer. Taylor famously dated and then later trashed John Mayer in the song "Dear John" (which Taylor has yet to confirm is about John but like... come on... his name is RIGHT THERE). Katy later went on to date John which may have made Taylor mad for Katy breaking the girl code. The second theory revolves around some straight up sabotage. Apparently, after Katy Perry's California Dreams tour, three of her dancers went on to dance with Taylor Swift's Red tour. Though, in the middle of the Red tour, Katy reached out to them to see if they wanted to go back to dancing with Katy on her new world tour. All three dancers agreed to leave Swift's tour to go back to working with Perry. One of the dancers, Lockhart Brownlie, suggested in his version that the dancers left Taylor for Katy because it was more fun to tour with Katy by saying, "We weren't really dancing in Taylor's tour anyway so I had got a little bored...Taylor is very untouchable. When we did see her, we had so much fun with her, but she's a lot more protected than Katy." And after that, Taylor unfollowed all 3 of the dancers from social media.But, we really got some good unofficial confirmation Bad Blood was about Katy when she tweeted this after the interview was released:

Though Swift would never confirm, we FINALLY got what we all wanted after Taylor Swift broke up with Calvin Harris and he confirmed the brutal fallout of the two when he said "I know you're off tour and you need someone new to try and bury like Katy ETC but I'm not that guy, sorry. I won't allow it," after Swift tried to cause drama with him after their break up. DID YOU READ THAT AGAIN. TRY. AND. BURY. LIKE. KATY!!! It's confirmed! Katy's response? Just this Hillary Clinton gif:

Since then, Katy has sided with almost any other celebrity who has a public feud with Taylor (such as Calvin Harris, Kimye and Nicki Minaj) and has released her own diss track to Taylor, Swish Swish (she hasn't confirmed it but like... come on... we all know) in which Nicki is also featured on the song, adding an extra dig in. (Wanna add another twist, there's even a conspiracy that this whole Taylor/Katy feud is fake and that they're actually friends!)

Which celebrity feud was most interesting to you? Let me know!