Celebrities And Philanthropy

Celebrities And Philanthropy

Celebrities are such an influential part of multiple media platforms, shouldn't philanthropic work be too?

13
Celebrities And Philanthropy
Whale Lifestyle

While Beyoncé does possess a certain form of fierceness with everything she does, something that isn't often televised or talked about is her sincerity to giving to others.

Recently, there has a been a video circling through Facebook showing Beyoncé sing to a room full of young cancer and leukemia patients at NUH hospital in Singapore. She was to perform in Singapore and shortly after she arrived in the southern tip of the Malaysian peninsula, she made sure to stop and share her talent with those less fortunate.

Philanthropy isn't something that Beyoncé does alone, most celebrities and ordinary individuals participate in charitable events. Although, Thanksgiving is the most philanthropic time of the year; every other day, not so much. While it is important to be thankful for what you have and to share your grace with others, we should be sharing acts of kindness like this on a daily basis.

I believe that if there was more media coverage, like the coverage of Beyoncé's amazing VMA performance or her intimate performance in Singapore, the acts of charitable love would spread 10-fold. While I can't speak for every celebrity there is, I know that a good portion of them either donate money or their personal time to people in need.

I have always had a love of helping others. Through my sorority I have been able to share my time giving to others in ways I didn't even know imaginable. Although, on the days when I am not volunteering with my sorority, I believe that I don't volunteer as much as I should. The reason why I believe I don't volunteer as much as I should is because I make the excuse that "I'm too busy." I shame myself for it constantly, yet I can still never seem to find the time to volunteer.

I have learned through my sorority experiences of volunteering that there are a multitude of ways to get involved and make time for philanthropy in your busy schedule. Also, no matter how long you are able to volunteer,whether it's one hour or maybe it's fifteen minutes, the time spent giving to others is always appreciated no matter which organization that you are giving to.

Now, just because there is one video of Beyoncé singing to children, that doesn't entirely mean that she is completely philanthropic. Heck, that could be the only time she has ever done anything philanthropic in her life. (Although if you are interested, the picture on this article is a picture from Beyoncé doing service work through her organization BeyGood). But what I am trying to point out is that if there were to be more footage of celebrities sharing their time, rather than of celebrity's love lives, I whole-heartedly think that this nation would be more propelled to spend their time with those less fortunate.