Celebrating Valentine's Month

Celebrating Valentine's Month

20 Ways to Love One Another

9
Celebrating Valentine's Month
Eileen McKenna

What do we love about Valentine's Day? Well, oftentimes you get something. A card, a dinner, a kiss-you name it. Valentine's Day is great because it focuses on love. And love is such a wonderful part of the human life. This is why I think we should extend the love we give on Valentine's Day beyond the day itself. So, here are a few ways that we can work on loving people better.

1. Have patience with a bad driver.

2. Pay for somebody else's coffee or food.

3. Tip a waitress or waitor more than usual.

4. Call your parents just to talk, not to ask for something.

5. Work at loving someone who you really dislike.

6. Take time to listen to somebody's story.

7. Try to find out somebody's love language and reciprocate it (words of affirmation, acts of service, receiving gifts, quality time, and physical touch).

8. Make an effort to say hello to or to thank the people who serve you (the woman who scans your ID or the people who clean your dorms).

9. Let your roommates or siblings borrow your clothing, even if you planned on wearing it.

10. Say hello to people you are just getting to know.

11. Practice remembering people's names.

12. Write somebody a note expressing your gratitude for them.

13. Write down somebody's prayer request and commit their issue to prayer each day.

14.Take time to understand somebody's point, not just expressing your opinion.

15. Eleanor Roosevelt said, "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people." Try to focus less on talking about people.

16. Be aware of your intentions in a conversation. Use your discernment to understand people, not to manipulate them.

17. Forgive people as soon as possible.

18. Stand up for people who are being treated poorly and initiate peace with the person who is mistreating them.

19. Get involved in a ministry or community effort in which you cannot be compensated.

20. In matters of preference, don't pressure or make fun of someone who does something differently than you. Recognize your differences and respect them.