8 Different Ways You Can Celebrate Juneteenth This Year

If you've never celebrated the holiday, why not start now?

536

Juneteenth is a celebration of the emancipation of enslaved Africans. The holiday originated on June 19th, 1865 in Texas. The Major General of the Union Army arrived in Texas and announced the emancipation of slaves. The formerly enslaved Africans decided to create a holiday in celebration. The holiday is now widely recognized and celebrated by African Americans throughout the United States. Here is a list of ways you can celebrate this year!

Learning The History

Knowledge is power. Learning should be a lifelong process. There are thousands or articles, videos, and even tweets that can provide valuable information and historical facts about Juneteenth. Celebrate this year by informing yourself, family, and friends about the significance of the holiday.

Make Soul Food

Who doesn't love eating? Food brings people together. It has been the center of many cultures for centuries, but especially in the African American community. In honor of the holiday, find some traditional soul food recipes online and try the dishes if you haven't before. Many of the recipes helped enslaved Africans survive in some of the hardest times throughout history and these recipes have been passed down from generation to generation.

Attend A Black Lives Matter March

So many things are happening right now in America. The most obvious is the police brutality that black and brown people are fighting against from coast to coast. With the deaths of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and countless other innocent black men, women, and children, people are fighting back through peaceful protests. Find one in your area and attend if you can. Wear a mask, paint a sign, go with friends and support the movement because black lives matter.

Support Black Businesses

There are thousands of black businesses you can support this Juneteenth. From restaurants to clothing brands, the possibilities are truly endless. I recently wrote an article highlighting 5 that I have supported in the past, but with a simple google search so many more will be at your fingertips.

Stream Black Music

Black artists have been the backbone of many of today's popular music genres such as rock, jazz, hiphop, and R&B just to name a few. Stream black music because black creatives matter. Discover new artists by exploring the browse taps on your streaming platforms this holiday.

Stream Black Movies & Tv Shows

Though there is a growing rate of African American representation in the film and tv industries, there could always be more diversity. In celebration of the shows that do exist, celebrate by streaming them on platforms such as Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. Some of my favorites are Greenleaf, ATL, and Love & Basketball. I hope you discover a new favorite show or movie featuring black artists this year.

Host A Black Art Paint & Sip

Many black artists have been selling paint & sip packages online since the pandemic started. If you're feeling creative this year, order one to support a black artist and host a fun event for you and your friends. You can also find inspiration on Pinterest and other places online if you'd prefer to do it DIY style.

Donate & Sign Petitions To Organizations In Support of Black Lives

Since the beginning of the recent wave of Black Lives Matter protests and marches, a list of ways to donate has been created and can be found here. If you are unable to donate to an organization, sign petitions and stream different YouTube videos as many creators of sending 100% of their earnings to similar organizations.