CBD: Nature's Remedy With Future Potential

A deeper dig into the benefits and abilities of CBD in accordance to anxiety and stress relief.

13
https://unsplash.com/photos/5Dyrcn5ocfk

Anxiety relief is one of the many goals people search for when dealing with the crippling burden of the affliction. The same goes for depression, if not for the current COVID-19 pandemic, would be one of the top epidemics in the current age. With there being several treatments for these mental ailments, such as pharmacy drugs, coping mechanisms, therapeutic means, lifestyle changes, and then some, there is one more addition that can be added to this list of remedies, and that is CBD.

As a follow-up to my last article on meditation, I will discuss the benefits and uses for CBD, but the question is, what is CBD? CBD, according to the NY Times journalist Dawn Mackeen (par. 1-4), is also known as cannabidiol, which is sourced from the Sativa cannabis plant. While it is derived from the cannabis strain known as hemp, it is not the same substance that causes the "high" that is highly associated with cannabis, THC. Instead, CBD is known for being in use within older Asian medicine and unlike the psychoactive THC, CBD is known for healing properties and mental relief. CBD comes in various forms such as creams used to lather an irritated spot on the body, oils used for various means, gummies (my favorite option), and can even be smoked if that is one's prerogative. Though much like many remedies, CBD may not work for everybody as is expected.

When it comes to treating anxiety and depression, CBD is claimed to affect the brain chemical serotonin, which is known for being the chief factor behind the aforementioned mental ailments along with digestion and sleep. When interacting with CBD, it is believed serotonin is regulated much like when they are paired with antidepressants. Along with this, there have been studies in 2011 that have shown CBD use had resulted in reduced symptoms of those who suffer from social anxiety disorder along with a 2019 study that found 80% of the people involved in the study had improved anxiety and 70% had their sleep improved as well. (Wagener, par. 6-10).As a natural remedy, CBD is often hailed as a great and natural method of healing oneself without the need or worry of prescription drugs. Aside from treating anxiety and depression, the substance is also believed to be used for sleep improvement, PTSD relief, while also being a therapeutic option for Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, psychosis, etc (Caporuscio Ph.D., par. 12-15). With the extensive list of diseases and conditions that can be remedied by CBD, there is still some more research to be done regarding the specifics of its healing properties as CBD therapy is still in its infancy.

Despite the disclaimer earlier about CBD not working for everyone, this is true but it is still worth checking out. Coming from personal experience, I gave CBD gummy edibles a try during my last semester of college during one of my anxiety flare-ups and within minutes the inner tension was turned down a notch and a sensation of steadiness took over. Since then, CBD products are usually my go-to for anxiety relief when needed. CBD is, while information on it is still under research, an interesting and simple method for meeting specific health needs, especially when treating certain mental health concerns. It is not the be-all-end-all of remedies, but it has the potential to be a huge contender for an alternative to pharma drugs and a viable option for treatment.

Articles Cited:

Caporuscio, Jessica. "CBD Dosage: Benefits, Safety, and Side Effects." Medical News Today, MediLexicon International, 17 Jan. 2020, www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/327518.

Mackeen, Dawn. "What Are the Benefits of CBD?" The New York Times, The New York Times, 16 Oct. 2019, www.nytimes.com/2019/10/16/style/self-care/cbd-oil....

Wagener, Dan. "CBD for Anxiety: Should I Use CBD to Treat My Condition?" The GoodRx Prescription Savings Blog, GoodRx Inc., 5 Nov. 2019, www.goodrx.com/blog/cbd-anxiety-treatment/.