Caught In The Looking Glass Space

Caught In The Looking Glass Space

Stuck between a dream and a cloudy reality.

8
Caught In The Looking Glass Space
John Tenniel

I write about really intense topics, and often I discuss or reference things that can be classified under "content warning" necessary. If you are someone who believes strongly in content warnings (CWs), then consider my name as a content warning for all things that you would think need one. Anything is fair game. Although the titles and subtitles will give you the theme of the article, I cannot guarantee that it someone who needs CWs will be left unaffected, even in a lighter-seeming article. The weight of the subjects is not to be taken lightly. That's part of why I do my writing in this style. I try to make people feel, and think deeply about topics that are hard to discuss. It is not to hurt others by uncovering old wounds. I believe those wrenching feelings are important to have, because they stir a humanity that lies beyond the everyday.

So, let's begin.

Recently I have begun facing the dilemma everyone goes through at some point in their lives; what are you doing to do forever?

I got to see the new movie, "Alice Through the Looking Glass," the other night. No, this is not be a review of the movie... But, it was fantastic.

In both "Alice" films there is the theme about changing from a child to an adult. Alice is torn between what she wants and what is deemed proper. Her mother, in the beginning of the first movie and carried into the second, wants the best life for her daughter. A life society would accept, would ensure her successful future, and free of colorful possibilities. One that Alice was not into at all.

The story is incredibly relatable. The parents, surely, connect more with Mrs. Kingsleigh because they too want their children to get the best start in life with a much better shot of being secure in the future. Feelings which are shown commonly by urging them on the path which they see leads to a secure future.

The children under middle school age are stimulated by Wonderland with little interest in the monochrome world of England. They want to be Alice, and experience fun adventures with talking animals and the Mad Hatter. Also, they are sure the man (Haymish) who likes Alice is super gross.

Then, there are the "young adults" who see Alice as a friend because of her stubbornness coupled with her desire to be herself. A friend from class following after what she wants. What is seen as appropriate by others isn't worth her strife. Entering the real world is boring and depressing like a textbook.

Combine judgement from others with settling into dull routines and basically that's the world of adults.

Someday, that moment where you realize you are now in charge of your choices, will come and throw you down K.O style. The voice in your head will ask you what you want to do, what will make you happy, what will get you farthest... The magical scale will also show up, which weighs what is important to you against other important things to you. Money, family, happiness, success, longevity, reality, all of those difficult topics pitted against one another. Sometimes you may choose to sacrifice happiness for money, and vice versa. And no one, not your parents, not your friends, not your teachers, should make those types of decisions for you.

Often, grown-ups who think they know best, don't actually know what's ahead for certain. The sun could implode tomorrow. Who would see that coming? Despite adults who say they know, they aren't living through 2016 carrying cellphones and constantly flooded with information mostly about other adults messing up. Yes, elders can see trends, but they are not fortune tellers who know how great the next high point will be, or how long it will last before the summit and decline.

Something forgotten in the confusion of growing older is that most parents are really just trying to look out for their children. It's important to remember through the seemingly endless talks about the future that they only want what is best. The last thing any parent wants is for the child they love to end up without a future and without opportunity. Thank them every now and again. Take their advice, but don't let them decide what your future must hold.

Beyond their gesture of love it's still important to remember that your life is yours. No one else has lived it yet. The choices you lie with are those ones you should be making on your own. If someone is making all of your decisions, are you really living?