Carpet Covered Dance Floors

Carpet Covered Dance Floors

For all the kids who lost someone to Neverland too soon.

21
Carpet Covered Dance Floors

I smell the air differently as I sink into the carpet that wasn’t here before

I see through locked up tears waiting to be let out

I feel how big the world was then as I stumble in this body I have now

How fast the world has changed in these few years when the world shifted to auto

I forgot what peace smelled like

But the peace is quickly swept to the side like a blackout on stage as the curtain comes down And the lights go up

Reality bites just like the small bug you didn’t know was there

All that's left is a mark to wake up to, and the fear of the things that crawl in the night

How long do we wait till those senses come back

Till our brains shrink back to the innocence of ignorance

And the blissful taste of happiness

I remember what that sounded like

It was a low hum of a swing song that I didn’t really now

I would show them that I knew any dance move, simply because I could make it

Making sure to always finish it right when the music ends

Because Star new I was one

Say it and it's true

I walked on water because love said I could, and so I did

True love smells sweet and looks never ending

I fell in love with someone who could live forever

A never ending force that could save me from heartache

But even the Peter Pan VCR has to come to an end, and can only be rewound so many times

And I eventually found out that I had to grow up, and she had to leave

So today I’ll walk through this museum of memories

With painted over conversations, and a dance floor freshly carpeted

To find the VCR replaced with a flat screen, and my peace replaced with pieces

Because Neverland is somewhere you fly to

But one day I’ll get wings too