Memoirs of a Lost (Soon-to-Be) Graduate: Taming of the Moment

Carpe Diem? YOLO? What are thooose?

9

We've all seen the Latin phrase carpe diem, whether the expression was on a mug, on a t-shirt, or in an Instagram bio. The extended version of the phrase is:

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero.

The phrase translates to "pluck the day, trusting as little as possible in the future." The more commonly seen translation is the shortened, and slightly mistaken, "seize the day." Basically equivalent to today's YOLO mantra, which stands for "you only live once."

As college students with full daily schedules that consist of lectures, homework, club meetings, volunteer work, and/or part-time/full-time jobs, finding the time to enjoy life can be extremely challenging. Here are some do's, don't's, and ideas to keep in mind:

Do spontaneous things. Take a short daytime road trip to that small trail an hour out of town. Try that new hole-in-the-wall restaurant that rarely anyone knows about. Trying new new foods or going to new places can be scary but it can be beneficial to get out of your comfort zone occasionally.

Do hang out with new people, even if you have no mutual friends to buffer awkward new introductions. To be more specific, not necessarily the creep that slid into your DMs after seeing you walk into the Halloween party last weekend, but the girl you obsessed over gel pens with in business statistics on Tuesday. Make some new friends.

Do take up new hobbies. Learn how to sew. Paint a picture in solitude. Find things you enjoy that you didn't expect to while learning to love being alone. Independence is not just a trait but it's an important life skill.

Do find a lesson in every struggle. If you're the kind of person who believes that everything happens for a reason, look for that reason. Life is too short to dwell over mistakes when you should be enjoying what all it has to offer. Learning new things is the key to growing.

Don't turn every conversation into an autobiography. Part of learning more involves learning about others. Each person differs and offers new perspectives. Ask people about their day, their hobbies, their families, and their passions.

Don't miss out on sleep. Please find the time to sleep, or even nap when you can. Sometimes it's difficult but trust me, you'll thank yourself later. I know that as a kid, I dreaded going to sleep because I felt like I was missing out but I've come to learn that it's okay to stay in on a Friday night and catch up on sleep. There will be other parties.

Don't attend that party for the sole purpose of updating your Snapchat. If you don't like to socialize with large groups, there are plenty of other ways to have fun. There's no need to make others think that you're about that life if you're really not about that life. You don't have to be something that you're not in order to live life.

Don't display every social encounter that you have on your social networks. It's common practice to share what you are doing with your friends and followers but when excessive, you look foolish for trying so hard to create a specific image for yourself. Life's not about doing things for your social identity, it's about doing things for your soul.

Don't use "seize/pluck the day" or "you only live once" as excuses to make irresponsible or reckless decisions. You only live once so you should try things while you can, but do so wisely because there are no second chances.

For the bookworms and literary nerds (or anyone who was forced to study Shakespeare in high school), look at Taming of the Shrew, where there are a number of lessons promoting a "carpe diem" lifestyle. For example, Lucentio arrives to Padua for school and he initially prioritizes education until he lays eyes on Bianca, who he immediately falls for and desires as a wife. Sometimes we encounter blessings unexpectedly and we should take advantage of that.

On another note, Bianca's older sister, Katherine, behaves hostile towards men and lacks interest in marriage with any potential suitors. As the younger sister, their father refuses to allow Bianca to marry first. A man arrives from Verona named Petruchio, who essentially forces Katherine into marriage, regardless of the tension created through Katherine's insults, rudeness, and not to mention her declination. He differs from the "easily-dominated men" that normally surround her by often commanding respect, consequently taming her previously ill-tempered behavior. The couple's journey epitomizes possibilities that can arise from meeting new people, keeping an open mind, and genuinely expressing one's desires.

Now, I'm not saying you should force people into marriage or ditch school for what you think might be love at first sight, but don't miss out on opportunities because of school/work tunnel vision. The point here is to keep your mind open, enjoy life the way you do best, and try not to die trying.